𝟐𝟐

When Edward returned to the ballroom, it took everything within his being to suppress his irritability and remain hospitable to the guests. He could not believe the hypocrisy that Serena had spewed moments ago, believing that she of all people would have been capable of understanding his circumstances.

At least she wouldn't be hanged at the gallows for being herself.

In some ways, he could understand why she was so hesitant about love, but this was not the approach. He expected more from her, but maybe he shouldn't have held her in such high regards. His frustration must have been amusing to Angel because he was already briskly making his way towards Edward.

Edward had gathered himself a glass of wine but after seeing the spectacle that was Serena, he was indecisive on whether he should drink or not.

"I see your future bride was incapable of keeping up the show." Angel's voice was gleeful and cocky.

'The arrogant bastard.' Edward thought.

His resentment was tenfold, multiplied by his anger at Serena. The awkwardness and hurt long faded, replaced with something cold and detached.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Edward decided to be indifferent, taking a sip of his wine as he was perturbed by Angel's presence. Where was his wife?

"You don't really expect me to believe this charade you both have contrived. I know you better than anyone else... In ways no one else has."

His voice lowered in octave, suggestive in nature. Edward hated that he was still consumed by it. Nonetheless, he wasn't naive anymore; he wasn't about to fall back into his game.

Angel? Absurd. He was more like a disguised devil.

"Is it so hard to believe that I can carry on with my life? I have simply done what you have, peerage and all. My linage must also continue, it mustn't end with me alone." The words caused his mouth to sour, reminiscing that another reason for Angel's betrayal was his inability to have children.

"With that in mind, how is your wife? I don't see her." Edward smiled when he saw the twitch in Angel's eye.

"She couldn't make an appearance this evening unfortunately. She had important matters to tend to."

Edward nodded his head in understanding.

"I see."

Angel would never be deserving of his wife's admiration. The duchess of St Albans, Katheryn Robertson, previously the daughter of the Earl of Cambridge. She was a very modest and reserved woman but radiated a joyous temperament which prevented Edward from hating her.

He couldn't bring himself to hate a woman that was so kind and innocent to all that was going on around her, even though he was envious of her position in Angel's life. He would have handled it better if she was an atrocious character, but he couldn't help but feel guilty for wanting something he knew he couldn't have.

It already belonged to someone although Angel begged to differ.

"This isn't about her." Angel stepped closer towards Edward who instinctively tensed.

He glared at the man; his eyes weary but fearful. Fearful that if he came any closer to him that his legs would buckle, and his morals would tumble along with them. He couldn't believe that six months ago, they were hand in hand, planning their lives together.

"It is about her since you decided to bring her into your life. She is your wife, or have you forgotten? If you have plans of sowing your royal oats, then I am not interested."