𝟎𝟕

Annabelle needed to get her shit together. It had been a few weeks since her last interaction with Ms. Gregory. Her mother became a huge thorn in the side of her hip after news of her bickering with the district ladies had spread throughout Greenwich. 

The full story obviously had not been disclosed. Francesca with her big mouth, took the high road in stating Anna had disrespected them without any context. She lied through her teeth, spreading rumors that Anna spoke words of wanting to seduce her husband and although it was unladylike of her, she had to defend her husband's honor. Although there were two sides to a story, almost everyone jumped at the opportunity to criticize the all so perfect bachelorette, jealousy had its way of getting around.

It was useless trying to explain her side to her mother. She never listened to her.

"I don't care what they said to you. You're a lady, a Robins. You must carry yourself well at all times. There are no excuses, you must be perfect."

Martha ridiculed whilst Anna sat at her bed bench. She bit her tongue although she yearned to defend herself some more and even scream that she was the reason for her outburst in the first place. Maybe she didn't want to be perfect. If she was to be married, will her mother finally stop treating her like she was still a child?

If anything, she wished she could leave this estate and explore the world, go places, and try new things. As Mr. Beckham had stated before, everything was so repetitious, not in the scandal way but in her life.

It was boring, gloomy, and dark with the same strict schedule. She would have never known what she was missing if she had never met Ms. Gregory. She could only imagine what that woman knew, a true role model. Something everyone could have seen if they weren't bond by their judgmental ideals.

A woman with a wealthy husband was praised more than a successful businesswoman. She felt like they were not evolving with that mindset. Hopefully, there would be a world someday where women were respected regardless of their marital status and birth right. However, if that would come true, would women finally be happy?

"I understand." Anna finally spoke after her mother finished her disciplinary rant. Martha took a deep breath, calming her nerves before walking to sit on the bed bench next to her daughter.

"You know I only want the best for you." She said, using her hand to delicately dust her daughter's dress, making sure she looked pristine.

"I know." Anna said it although she didn't believe it was entirely true. These were the few moments where her mother would calm down and be a bit kind, gentle, though it didn't last long.

'I'm doing this for your best interest.'

'I am your mother, don't think I am doing this to hurt you.'

'You are overreacting, please listen.'

Were the phrases her mother overused to reassure her. To Anna, it didn't come across the least bit reassuring, but it was better than being yelled at. In these moments, she preferred to just be left alone but her mother always had a speech to justify her actions.

"The world out there is a dangerous place and you; my love is all I have." Her mother says gently with a smile, Anna untenses.

She would not admit it but secretly she was desperate for her mother's love but no matter what her mother said to her, their emotional connection seemed so small. It was hard feeling secure around her mother when she herself was the root of to all her insecurities.

Her words simply did not match her actions and Anna wasn't stupid but sadly, she was still her daughter. She wanted to be loved by her mother regardless of how controlling and strict she was. That was why when her mother pulled her into a hug and began stroking her hair, she allowed it to happen and actually enjoyed it.