𝟎𝟖

"You have some explaining to do."

Edward demanded, arms folded as he glares at Annabelle. They sat under their usual floral canopy where there was a white cast iron garden table and chairs. She tries to offer him some sweets as an apology but he refuses to dive in until she explains herself. 

"Ms. Gregory and my parents are conducting some business amongst themselves. I don't know what the big deal is." She desperately tries to claw herself out of whatever this is but Edward's brooding stare does not let up.

"Perhaps not, if you would have told me." He huffed.

"Even after everything we discussed about their incompatibility on your parent's part. You even agreed that your parents would never take business up with Ms. Gregory. A living, walking scandal I remember you calling it."

Anna picks up her teacup, slowing taking a sip as she avoids eye contact.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Edward's mouth is left hanging at her.

"I see."

He stands up, placing his top hat on his head before bowing.

"I will be on my way then." Anna places her cup down hastily causing a loud clank. She leans over the counter, grabbing the sleeve of his suit when he turned to walk away, not so elegant of her.

"For goodness sake! Don't be like that..." He turns to look at her. He resembles that of a child who couldn't get what they wanted, throwing their own little solitary tantrum. His mouth is pressed into a thin line and Anna sighs, gesturing for him to take his seat again.

Once he has done that, she begins to speak.

"You're a blabbermouth. I'm sure you would have spread the news quicker than all of the newspapers of England." The redhead gawked at her, appalled that she could believe such a thing before he leans back into his chair, thinking about it for a moment.

"You do have a point..." Anna gives him a dead look whilst the cogs start turning in his mind.

"I must say, the news is spreading without my aid. Everyone knows, it was only I who was in the dark." He pouts, picking up one of the scones and eats it. 

She had gotten through to him.

"An aristocrat picking up business with Ms. Gregory? It makes no sense."

"Why do you say that?" Anna had been distracted in other 'areas' but now, she could see how strange it was.

"Social class and nobility. Ms. Gregory is an accomplished woman, that is true, but she has no birth rights. She is unmarried but yet she somehow still owns property, land and all the like. In a government-based point of view, this would be considered illegal. I'm sure the aristocracy are bubbling to take her down so for one to work with it is taboo in itself. It's all political nonsense if you ask me. Even women who are married still find it difficult to own their own land. Martial separation means economical destitute for the wife."

Anna pursed her lips. "That's if they make it out in one piece."

Thinking back on what she said to Francesca and her group left a bitter taste in her mouth. She felt dirty and classless. Those weren't things they had in their control and yet she threw it in their faces. She didn't regret standing up for herself, but she should have done it differently. There were so many eyes on her right now because of it, she could only hope the rumors died down. Any time now, she could be invited to a ball, and she didn't want to be the talk of the room.

There was this awkward silence and Edward decides to break it. There was no need to discuss such depressing topics.

"Now may I ask, why does it look like you have the hots for Ms. Gregory?" Anna chokes on her tea, earning a knowing smile from Edward.