𝟐𝟒

"Anna compose yourself!" Martha finally exclaimed as the confusion within her settled. She didn't know if she was upset that Anna's crying wasn't helping with the situation at hand or because of who the tears were meant for. 

Edward glared at Martha as he tried to console Anna. He decided it was best to remove her from the hallway in its entirety. Her own mother wasn't going to be of any help anyways; shouldn't she be running to her daughter's aid?

What a witch. 

"She's visibly upset, let her cry." Taylor stated as some servants carefully attempted to move Serena into her room so the doctor could tend to her when he arrived. "Besides, we are all startled. There must have been a burglar."

Martha frowned. " A burglar in Greenwich? We hardly experience those."  

"Well, we are now." Taylor muttered, a finger on his chin. He didn't know how the burglar managed to slip away so easily or how they even managed to enter the estate. They must have been a guest but who? 

"We would need to alert the peelers in London. We need to get to the bottom of this immediately." 

Although Martha had shouted at her, Anna couldn't stop the tears from falling. Nonetheless, she tried to make it as silent as possible. She stared at the bright crimson on the polished wooden floors and knowing who it belonged to only caused her heart to ache.

"Let's go Anna." Edward stated as he led her downstairs so she could sit down in the parlor. Dorothy was quickly by her side, using a fan to cool her down whilst Amelia went to fetch a glass of water. 

The entire household was shaken by the events which transpired that early morning. The new gossip spreading amongst the servants was how did the burglar enter the house in the first place.

"I believe it was one of the guests." Amelia whispered adamantly to Bella as she gathered the glass of water for Anna.

 Bella shushed her, shaking her head. "You can't accuse our guests like that. What if someone heard you?" 

Amelia shrugged as she was never one to hold her tongue anyways. "It's the only plausible reason. Greenwich isn't a place known for robberies. Everyone knows everyone. They wouldn't make it far until someone realized." 

She turned around after the glass was filled with water. 

"Besides, how would they enter this estate without notice when there's the porter living in the gate house by the entrance, stablemen walking around freely and don't forget about the butlers." 

Bella pursued her lips because she knew that Amelia was right. "Regardless of that, it isn't our place. Say nothing." 

Amelia sighed, wondering if she should listen to Bella's words. She was her sister after all. Bella left to help tend to the blood-soaked floors and Amelia walked back to Anna who had calmed down. 

"I know there are terrible people in this world, and I may be naive to say this, but I can't imagine how someone could so something like that." Anna whispered. She mutters a small 'thank you' after she takes the glass of water from Amelia. 

"If that's the case I'm scared for what you might see when you are able to step out of these walls freely." Edward stated as he took a seat next to Anna. 

She just stared down at her glass, fiddling with it, not feeling thirsty at all. She wanted to know if Serena would be alright and that was all she could think of. To think that if Serena died, all she would remember would be those hurtful words. 

Did she really mean all she had said? 

✧༺♥༻∞