𝟏𝟑

Just like that, the mood within the ball had shifted with the appearance of one single woman.

Ms. Serena Gregory.

For Greenwich, word of a woman in a suit conducting consultations for business was just a folly rumor or a snide piece of gossip thrown into the ears of those willing to listen.

It wasn't common to see a woman breaking the norms and values engrained into their daily living except for those who roamed the lustful corners of England. Yet again, someone who went against them vastly and that was Ms. Gregory.

She was playing with her fate and even maybe her life, if she were not careful. She should have been hung years ago or stoned were what many thought.

However, to everyone's surprise, here Ms. Gregory stood in a ball where invitees only were allowed to attend.

With every step she took, astonished eyes trailed her every moment, perplexed at why she was here in the first place.

Regardless of this, Ms. Gregory walked further into the ball with a stride, straight towards the hostess and her future husband; without a hint of cowardice and without a glance in anyone else's direction.

She was splendidly dressed for the occasion; not in a dress which was the general requirement of the century but regardless, Ms. Gregory set the tone with her impeccable and masculine fashion.

Instead, she wore a black suit which complemented her jet black hair which was tailored to slightly cling to her slender frame with it's double-breasted tailcoat and pleated trousers. The tailcoat was specialized, having two diamonds at the midline, white flower embroidery upon the lapels and a pocket handkerchief on the left. Her tie is a mail coach and a silver pocket watch dangles on the bottom portion of her tailcoat.

"It has been such a long time since I've seen you Ms. Marvell or should I start addressing you as Lady McRoddon." Serena states with a knowing smile when she approaches the loving pair, focusing her attention on the woman and then the man beside her.

The second eldest daughter of three children, Elna Marvell of the Marvell family was to marry Lord Axwell McRodden who attained the title of viscount after his father's death.

The Marvell family were very wealthy referred to as gentry because of their upper class stance without being within the peerage. The history of their wealth was unknown but what was known of them were their participation in the modernization of England.

Lord Axwell McRodden was the eldest of his six sisters, who he loved dearly and made it his aim to protect them all. It was his responsibility after becoming the only male in their household and without a mother there was even more strain. However, he never would have expected to fall in love and to be engaged.

Lord McRodden was known as a man who placed his sisters on a pedestal above all else and seemed to forget about his own needs.

Anything they wished for they received and he prioritized finding their suitors instead of looking for a wife but, when he had been introduced to Elna at a ball he attended previously, he was immediately smitten by her enduring personality.

After a nine month courtship, the pair were here to celebrate their engagement and with the way Elna Marvell blushed at Serena's comment, things seemed to be moving smoothly.

Elna was beautiful, brown hair and brown eyes with a porcelain skin tone. She was wearing a polonaise dress as well, white matched with beige snitched together in intricate layers of fabrics and bows. Her entire being radiated nothing but pure joy and kindness.

"You and that flattery. You'll get yourself in trouble one of these days." Elna scolded in a playful manner, moving her hand in a shooing motion but albeit, her comment was not to be taken seriously.