𝟏𝟒

It was Serena who broke eye contact. 

She needed to pull herself out of whatever this was. 

She really should, but regardless of her denial, she knew she wasn't going to. If she didn't go about this the right way, one of them would undoubtedly get hurt and even though her heart had been trampled on, it shouldn't be a reason for her to do it to someone else. 

But yet again, Ms. Gregory wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. 

She could be arrogant, she could be sly and she could be conniving. 

She needed to think of this as business.

 Anna wanted something from her and she wanted something from Anna in return. 

This was like an unspoken contract between two parties. A one sided contract that Anna didn't even know about. 

How would she react if she were to find out that Serena was only doing all of this because of a motive? All because she wanted to know what her parents were hiding? 

An aristocrat consulting with an illegal business woman? Something was certainly fishy about that, not mainly with the aristocracy but because of how strict they are in their beliefs. Well based on her observations, Martha's beliefs.

She glanced at Taylor Robins who was as jovial as can be, chatting with some guests and then turned her attention to Martha Robinson who was being introduced to some women by Elna.

Something was strange about Martha but she couldn't put her finger on it. The woman's disdain towards her wasn't unmissable but there was something else lurking behind closed doors and she was going to do everything within her power to find out what that was.  

She was changing her goals, figuring that looking at it from a financial standpoint wasn't getting her anywhere. Taylor didn't have a problem with her at all and after slipping a few questions into her conversations with Anna, she wasn't getting much information. 

Anna didn't hear or know of any financial troubles within her family. 

Were he really just trying to expand? 

It was all just a mystery and she needed to go about this differently. To add, she couldn't really put majority of her attention on this anyways, she was facing her own battles and right now, she was just hoping she came out victorious. 

"Ms. Gregory?" Serena was pulled out of her thoughts, blinking a few times.

 "I'm sorry Axwell," They had acquainted themselves quickly, to the point that they were now on first name basis. "I was in deep thought." 

Axwell's confusion at her unresponsiveness dispersed and he was about to say something when a beautiful blonde interrupted their conversation.

"Axwell, Axwell, come here now. I want you to introduce me to this gentlemen." 

"Pardon me." Axwell apologized for the rude halt to their conversation. "My sister can be a bit troublesome." He shook his head and the lady pouted, glancing at Serena. Serena nodded her head in understanding, she knew that all too well with her own sibling and wasn't offended by the intrusion. The blonde glanced at Serena with a look of confusion and suspicion, a look she knew all too well aside from the disdain. 

"Ahh this is my eldest sister, Lady Emily McRodden. Emily this is Serena." Serena did a curt bow. "Nice to meet you." 

Emily stared at Serena for a moment, it was only the nudge from her brother which coaxed her to actually respond, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment for a moment. "I apologize." She curtsied in return. "Nice to meet you as well."