𝟐𝟎

September 1837.

The Robins household was in uproar as servants were bustling across the corridors in order to finish the remaining preparations for the ball. Early guests were already making their entrance; ladies were lavishly dressed in beautiful gowns with their most exquisite jewelry whilst gentlemen wore their most expensive suits that were certainly crafted by a skillful tailor.

The ballroom of the mansion was elegant and wide, still in pristine condition even though it hadn't been used for years. Lady Martha was not the type of woman to casually host balls as she believed that would only spoil the taste overtime. She was known to overdo it when hosting a ball and one thing was for certain, was that no one could disgrace her efforts.

Her balls were thrilling, magical; almost close to rivaling the Queen's. An invitation would have been a surprise to many especially with the purpose.

The bachelorette was finally to be married and many were going to be sour during the fruitful evening.

The ballroom flooring was shining and sparkling, so much so, that it reflected the bright lights of the candles, hanging on crystal chandeliers; the gems beautiful and breathtaking to those who looked up. The paintings of vast landscapes on the askew ceiling dance in the flickering light while statuettes and carved images look down upon the porcelain floor of this glorious hall.

White ribbon banners with emblazoned tips decorate the walls between each banner, candles rests solemnly, illuminating the ballroom hall further. Massive windows are hidden by draperies colored the same white as the banners. The curtains have been adorned with fine patterns and fancy tassels.

After a decent amount of people arrived to the ball, some musicians made their way to a small podium in the corner of the ballroom and started playing some classical music, adding a nice and peaceful aura to the ball.

Everyone was socializing and smiling, keeping up facades of happiness whilst underneath it all their hearts were filled with either jealousy or anger. However, there was but one person who couldn't keep up appearances.

Ms. Gregory indeed made herself present to the ball, but in comparison to her usual confident self in which she could easily steal the attention within a room, she was slowly drifting into the background almost unnoticeable, if it weren't for her masculine attire.

She was at her fourth glass of white wine which was unbecoming of her as she was never the type to make herself drunk at important events like this one. She preferred to get herself inebriated in the presence of close friends at the dock like Fally, Henry and others but currently, her face was already showing signs of tipsiness.

The following days since the news of Anna's engagement had been horrendous. Her feelings had been in disarray, balancing the stresses of her father alongside her mother's declining health. She had no energy remaining to keep up lying faces like everyone else in the room.

She didn't want Anna to be married.

She was jealous.

These were the main thoughts among many she was trying to accept within herself, but she was too stubborn to do so.  She was nothing but a prideful scoundrel. A true coward when it came to love.

Annabelle and Edward were taking their time to make an entrance, it was probably Martha's idea. Speaking of the woman, she was having the time of her life!

She was smiling brightly, indulging herself in the presence of her guests. She was the host for this evening and did her part perfectly. Taylor preferred to spend his company with familiar faces he hadn't seen before, discussing politics and the process of London's railroads.