Why did she look away? Was what crossed Anna's mind. 

She knew they couldn't just stand there in a staring match but still, her chest tightened at the thought of being ignored and it worsened when she watched as Serena was 'introduced' to Axwell's sister.  Jealously was an unfamiliar emotion to Anna and she didn't know how to handle it. She wished she could switch places with Emma at that moment but her wishes were felling on deaf ears. All she could do was stand there like a beautiful antique doll, polished so perfectly by her mother. 

"I'm sorry for staring... It's just that I've never seen a woman like you before." Emily stated softly, trying her hardest not to sound rude.

 She seemed to have completely forgotten about the gentlemen she wanted her brother to go fetch for her. Women weren't allowed to speak to men first at a ball and in turn, men were required to be introduced to women by the host but some didn't always follow the rules. 

"I've heard that plenty of times, no harm done." Serena stated kindly. The same way she had this dark side to her, she was just as kind and understanding.  However, sometimes the look of shock and judgement on the faces of others could be repetitive to the point of annoying. 

Axwell who wanted to escape from his sister's nagging, just for tonight, decided to slip away and meet up with Elna who was having a conversation with Martha and some ladies. Martha had seemingly calmed down, some attention was on her and that was enough for now. Just as long as Serena knew her place. 

Like a puppet being controlled by a puppet master, Serena couldn't help but glance into Anna's direction once again. Seeing how lonesome she appeared in a ball that was supposed to be fun was saddening... Once again, she was starting to get trapped into that blackhole of feelings that she wanted to so badly to avoid. 

Serena forced herself to look away and like the impulsive person she was, she asked Emily a question she knew she may regret later down "Do you want to dance?"

At first Emily was hesitant but truthfully she was smitten by the charming aura of Ms. Gregory and almost like she was in a trance, she held up her dance card. Serena smiled, jotting down her name in cursive handwriting with a pen she brought with her. Emily would stare at it. It was the first time she had a woman's name in her dance card, the "Ms." at the beginning of Serena Gregory was as bold as day. 

"Shall we?" Serena held out her arm and Emily slowly slide her own around it. As the pair made their way unto the dance floor where a few other pairs were getting situated, eyes were already on them.  When Chopin waltz op 64 no 2 begins to play and the dancing starts, even more eyes were drawn unto the unusual. 

With Emily's hand on Serena's shoulder and her hand firmly against Emily's waist they started dancing. Of course, many within the ball were eyeing Ms. Gregory's moments like a hawk, waiting to pounce on any error within her footwork but unfortunately for them, she was an excellent dancer. They quickly speed up to the music, gliding across the dance floor, staring intensely into each other's eyes. 

It was a perfect distraction for Ms. Gregory, a way to get her mind straight before she did something heinous whilst for Anna, her heart ached watching as they danced their lives away to the sacred melody. It felt like someone had ripped their hand into her chest and was ever so steadily squeezing on her heart, with the final purpose of crushing it. 

All conversations halted and everyone stared, no one even interested with the others sharing the floor with Emily and Serena. 

Anna felt something dry and painful lodging in her throat but she couldn't swim in her wallowing for long as the hard grip on Anna's arm pulled her away from the scene.