Chapter 20

"So how are you?" Leo asked me when we got ourselves situated at one of the big round tables.

"I am doing okay. Although unfortunately for me I couldn’t finish college. But here I am!" I replied in a perky voice to let them know that I'm genuinely happy.

"Wait, di ba you're looking to get your movie funded?" AJ blurted out to the group and my cheeks felt hot.

"Yeah." I shyly answered. Everyone was so excited to hear that I have written a movie and pushed me to read it to them.

"I'll read it but promise to give me an honest criticism and don't tell me that it's good for the sake of saying it. Please, tell me if this is worth your money." I said to them before I began. They all nodded agreeing so I took out my iPad and began to read.

Alicia, an ambitious college student, daydreams of having a luxury time getting into a relationship just like what she thought a normal college girl of her age would do. One day, when she was having a tough day, her feet led her to visit the gymnasium where a guy caught her attention, making her like him from afar. Since that day, she always visits the gym at the same time and she would always see the guy. Little did she know, this guy noticed her already.

After all the secretive days of looking for that guy, they finally talked to each other, became friends, until they became a lover. The guy was a simple boy who always understands her. Alicia does not have time for him all the time so she set expectations for him that time might become a problem, since they truly love each other, it never became an obstacle.

But one day, Alicia has to go and stop dreaming of finishing college. He supported her even though it crushed him to pieces. It became tougher for the two of them until they had to end things.

Until the end, this guy understood her. He still goes back to the spot where Alicia used to check him out.

Years went by and the guy searched for her. It was not easy, but his love led him to her. With open arms, they welcomed each other back. And from that day forward, he proposed to her and promised to never let her go."

I sighed after I read it. This is how I want our story to be told. This is my escape from the pain that I am to be blamed for.

"It's cheesy. But it's on the trend. Kids nowadays are crazy with that type of story. I'm sure it will become a hit." Leo said and they all agreed.

"So?" I asked them, hoping I would get the answer that I want.

"I can help! Though it may not be enough, I'll see what I can do. Babalikan kita." Marco said. I smiled at him and thanked him for his generosity. Although we have a pretty bad past, Marco and I managed to fix our friendship kahit na it took some time.

I returned my iPad to my bag and excused myself. I don't know, but I felt a bit ashamed reading my work aloud in front of everybody who might have a hint that it is somewhat identical to Ray and I's story. I have no idea where I was heading; all I know is I need a space where I can think and smoke a bit to ease the tension. Yes, sanity made me want to smoke.

After a few walks, I found a garden. I placed my bag on one of the benches and get my stick of cigarettes. I made myself comfortable. I sat down, lit my cigarette, and changed into sneakers that I brought. I did not know that AJ was following me secretly. I was surprised when someone burst out of the glass door and there a fine man walked in towards me.

“Wow, you’re smoking now,” AJ said in surprise. I just as a response chuckled as he got himself a stick of cigarette from his chest pocket.

“That was a beautiful story. Ray might cry when he hears it.” I looked at him and arched my brow.

“Really? You really have to mention him while I was relaxing?” I spoke.

“Sorry. I never thought he’d become a bad word.” He playfully said and we both laughed. I have never been able to laugh like this for the past five years.

We talked more about life. AJ filled me up with all that happened after I left the school. Of course, no one has seen it coming. They all knew me as a determined person and a happy-go-lucky college girl who smiles whatever life throws. Coach did not tell them the reason why I left but he did after the team kept on mentioning my name when they were in one of their championship games. I felt bad when AJ told me that part and couldn’t help but picture how their faces must have been at that time.

“Are you sure you’re not curious about Raymond at all?” He asked me when he ran out of things to tell. I breathed in deeply and thought about whether it was a good or bad thing to know how he was.

“How was he?” My mouth seems to have its own freedom and asked AJ about him.

“He dropped himself out of the team,” before he even continues, my eyes widen in surprise, and my heartbeat becomes fast.

“Before you panic, it did not happen. Coach did not let him exit the team. He and Marco were the assets, you know that. Marco was AWOL at that time and the finals were just around the corner, so he had no choice but to stay.”

AJ told me more about what happened. There was one time when they are in a regional game, they were defeated because of Ray. He kept on messing with his three-point shots and kept on having fouls because his head was somewhere. AJ also shared how hot-tempered Ray was to him and not so with the rest. When Marco arrived, the two of them did not talk until now. He and Ray, on the other hand, are slowly getting back together.

“Where is he now?” I asked AJ

“I don’t know. He never missed this event. You know how much he likes free drinks.” He said, chuckling.

“Do you want me to give your number to him?” I immediately shook my head and AJ’s face was puzzled.

“It was hard to forget him. He must have had a hard time forgetting us too. I don’t want to bring back the hard times.” AJ seems to understand as he nods his head.

Jasmine texted me that she wanted to go home so I fixed myself and fetched her to their circle. AJ accompanied me back and we parted our ways when some guy approached him for business matters. I never thought that the reunion would look like a business market in our age today. I should have attended when we were all young and carefree, so it won’t be boring like today. I am so tired and sleepy the moment we ride in our hailed taxi.

I cannot remove Ray away from my mind. I kept on thinking how hard his days were after we parted. It was hard for me, so I guess we’ve been through the same hell. I bore the pain of leaving him without believing that he could understand me, that it was part of our life but what I did was unacceptable, and yet I still did.  I haven’t teared up for the longest time, but his face on my thoughts brought the little specks of water down my eyes. My mind kept on wondering how he is today, has he moved on, or has he found someone? Has he?