Chapter 36 - Audacity

Start from the beginning

"She just needs to rest a little bit, just like the rest of you."

I set my backpack aside and sat down on the other side of the couch Miku was at.

"So, what are you two doing?"

"I'm suffering," Miku said.

"I'm watching her suffer," Yotsuba said.

Just as she finished that sentence, I heard a loud groan coming from Miku. I looked at her a bit confused, then at the screen to see the words 'YOU DIED' written across it. And then, as the cherry on top, I heard the words coming from the TV at a low volume.

"I am Malenia, Blade of Miquella."

"I. Fucking. Know."

"Miku, language!" Yotsuba said.

"Boi, nothing quite like coming home from a stressful day at school to stress for a few more hours playing a soulslike."

"That's rich coming from the likes of you," Miku said, "Just watch. I'll beat her ass this time."

She tied her hair into a ponytail and leaned forward, grabbing the controller firmly.

"Wish I could help you with that, but I just got to NG+ last night."

"It's ok. I'm sure I'll get her in the next 50 attempts or so."

"That's the spirit."

"Nino! Come sit with us!" Yotsuba said.

As I turned around, I saw Nino coming back downstairs wearing one of my hoodies. It was too long on her, so I couldn't tell if she was wearing shorts underneath it or not. She walked over to the couch without saying a word, then laid down, using my legs as a pillow and poor Miku as her leg-rest, which promptly caused her to die in the game again.

"Nino!"

"Pfft. You're still stuck on her?" she nonchalantly said.

"Why don't you give it a try?" Miku said.

"No thanks."

She then put on the hood and turned to face the TV.

And I just stayed there being her pillow for quite a while, and not five minutes later, she dozed off.. Miku gave up after her 28th attempt and went upstairs to take a shower. Yotsuba stayed with me and we watched an episode of Spy x Family together, but right after it was over, she was the one who went upstairs to take a shower so I ended up not getting the chance to ask about Fuutarou. A while after that, Ichika returned from her work and we chatted a bit before she went upstairs, and finally, just a few minutes before the sun had set completely, Itsuki came downstairs, still wearing her uniform.

"Oh, you're here," she said.

"Yes I am. Do you come here often?"

"Pfft."

She made her way to the kitchen, getting a mug and serving some tea for herself. She looked even more exhausted than Nino did.

"You were studying, weren't you?" I asked.

"How could you tell?"

"Just an educated guess."

"Well, I was. Anything about it?"

"Yes, actually. You're all as prepared as you're gonna get. Please don't overwork yourself."

"I thought I was prepared last time."

"You were, and you passed."

"..."

"I don't understand why you see your previous grade as a failure. Just what exactly are you trying to achieve?"