Chapter 36 - Audacity

Start from the beginning

"Don't 'fine' me. It's beautiful outside. It will be nice, I promise."

"I know... it's just that I'm kinda tired."

"Physically? We didn't even have PE today."

"That's not what I meant. I mean tired overall..."

"Then it's all the more important than you go touch some grass, otherwise all that studying will fry your neurons."

"Pfft. You're one to say that."

"Alright, alright. Just come with me, ok? We'll take it easy."

I could sense it in her. She wanted this date just as much as I did, but after so, so many sessions and all the effort they put into studying, they are, understandably, completely worn out. I would never in my life dare to say this to tsun, but I did notice subtle bags under her eyes over the past few days. They are in desperate need of rest, and I'll ensure they get it. And then, only after they are well-rested, they can do something fun to treat themselves.

The trip was pleasant on my part, but I could see in Nino's face that she could barely muster the energy to enjoy what would be on any other occasion a very nice moment together. She was almost stumbling her way there, clinging onto my arm as if she was about to faint.

"Actually, I think it's better if I take you home for today," I said.

"What?!"

I stopped walking, gently but firmly getting a hold of her other hand and turning to look her in the eyes. Her expression was steadfast and stubborn, but I could also see a hint of sorrowfulness.

"We can go out some other day. You really need to rest a bit."

"I was the one who suggested it!"

"I know... but we both know you're not feeling so well."

"N-No! Please, I'm fine. Let's just keep going."

Her eyes started to become a bit teary.

"You could barely stay awake during class. I don't think you'll be able to enjoy it properly once we're there."

"I don't care!" she said, "I just want to be with you in any setting that isn't the session. I... I just want to be with you."

I stayed speechless for a good few moments, simply reaching out to her and pulling her into an embrace. I could feel a bit of my shirt getting wet as she sobbed quietly into my arms.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"For what?"

"I didn't want to take this out on you... it's just the burnout."

"Shhh... it's ok. Let's go home, and we can do something chill there, ok?

She sighed, "Okay."

We just sat on a nearby bench as I called our ride home. She stayed silent all the time, just holding onto my arm with a look of guilt.

We arrived at the apartment after some fifteen minutes. She swiped the keycard on the door and we entered her house to see Yotsuba watching Miku playing something on her PS5.

"Oh, you're back. Weren't you two going on a date?" Miku said.

"Nah, today we just chilling. Hope you don't mind the intrusion."

"Not at all! You're always welcome here," Yotsuba said.

Nino let go of my arm, "I'll go put my bag in my away and change into something more comfy. Brb."

She then headed upstairs while Yotsuba and I watched her with a bit of worry.

"Is she ok?" Yotsuba quietly asked.