Riddle's diary

Y/N's POV

Harry, Ron, and I had just finished dinner. Hermione had decided to go up to the library to check whether she needed any books to study for what she missed. 

Then we saw Filch mopping in the corridor outside of Myrtle's bathroom. "You don't think there's been another attack?" Ron asked, his voice quivering. 

Harry and I nodded no to him, we didn't hear the voice, in fact we hadn't heard it for a while and it was definitely relieving. 

"-even more work for me! Mopping all night, like I haven't got enough to do! No, this is the final straw, I'm going to Dumbledore-" we heard him say, hiding around the corner we heard the pitter patter of his footsteps receding down the hallway. 

We poked our heads around the corner and immediately saw what Filch was complaining about, a tremendous amount of water had flooded the corridor and it appeared to be coming from Myrtle's bathroom. After Filch had left and nothing else was making any noise apart from the flowing water we heard Myrtle's shrill wails. 

"Now what's wrong with her?" Ron asked harshly. 

"Well," I said pushing past the out of order that always hung on the door, "let's go and see." The three of us had hiked our robes up as much as we could but I could feel the water seeping through my shoes. As we walked through the bathroom we heard Myrtle's cries in her usual toilet. It was dark and freezing, the water must have extinguished the already few candles that were in the bathroom. 

"Myrtle? You ok?" I asked knocking on the door of her stall.

"Who's that?" Myrtle said sniffling. "Come to throw something else at me?" 

"Why would I throw something at you?" I said innocently. 

"Don't ask me!" Myrtle yelled, emerging from her stall with a wave of water that soaked the rest of our robes. "Here I am, minding my own business, and someone thinks it's funny to throw a book at me..."

"But it can't hurt you if someone throws something at you," Harry interrupted, "I mean, it'd just go right through you, wouldn't it?"

As soon as he finished I glared at Harry, Myrtle was an emotional wreck all of the time, he obviously hadn't thought his words through because his eyes shot up in surprise when Myrtle howled. 

"Let's all throw books at Myrtle, because she can't feel it! Ten points if you get it through her stomach! Fifty points if it goes through her head! Well, ha, ha, ha! What a lovely game!" Myrtle yelled sarcastically. 

"Myrtle," I said cautiously, "who threw it at you?"

"I don't know... I was just sitting in the U-bend thinking about death, and it fell right through the top of my head," Myrtle said sniffling as she glared at us, "it's over there, it got washed out..."

Harry and I walked over to the book, as Harry went to pick it up Ron grabbed his arm and pulled him back. 

"Are you crazy?" exclaimed Ron. "It could be dangerous."

"Dangerous?" Harry asked skeptically. "Come on, how could it be dangerous?"

"You'd be surprised," I said looking at the book apprehensively. "Some of the books my dad's dealt with were crazy, there was one that burned your eyes out. Everyone who's read Sonnets of a Sorcerer spoke in limericks for the rest of their life."

Ron interrupted, "Some old witch in Bath had a book that you could never stop reading! You jsut had to wander around with your nose in it, trying to do everything one-handed. And-"

"While I'd love to hear about your dad's stories at the ministry Ron," I said shrugging, "none of them will help us decide what to do with the book." I said picking it up. 

All the color in Ron's face disappeared and he started leaning over like he would faint. Luckily, nothing happened and I turned the book over trying to figure out what I could about it, I saw that it was a very faded diary and when I looked over the cover I saw that it was made about fifty years ago. The name on the first page was T.M. Riddle. 

"Hang on," Ron said cautiously as he looked over my shoulder, "I know that name... T.M. Riddle got an award for special services to the school fifty years ago."

"How on Earth do you know that?" I asked amazed. 

"Because Filch made me polish his shield about fifty times in detention." Ron said resentfully. 

I handed the diary to Harry and he peeled the pages apart carefully. There was nothing in the diary other than Riddle's name, not a speck of ink was visible throughout the entire thing. 

"He never wrote in it," Harry said, disappointed.

"I wonder why someone would flush it," Ron said looking at Myrtle's stall. 

"He must've been muggle-born," Harry said looking at the back cover, "Vauxhall Road in London is a store."

Harry pocketed the diary and we walked to the common room where Hermione excitedly greeted us. 

"Y/N! I checked the library and turns out you already got me everything I needed! Thanks!" She said beckoning us over to the couch. As I sat down I had Harry hand me the diary and I explained everything we had figured out about it. 

"I wonder if it has any hidden powers," Hermione said enthusiastically as she took the diary and looked over it closely. 

"What could he have gotten an award for?" Harry asked. 

"Could've been anything," Ron said, "maybe he got thirty O.W.Ls or saved a teacher from the giant squid. Maybe he murdered Myrtle, that would've done everyone a favor..."

Just then an idea popped into my head. "Well, the last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened was fifty years ago..."

"And this diary is fifty years old!" Hermione said excitedly. 

"And?" Ron said dully.

"Ronald, come on!" I snapped. 

"We know the person who opened the Chamber last time was expelled fifty years ago. We know T.M. Riddle got an award for special services to the school fifty years ago. Well, what if Riddle got his special award for catching the Heir of Slytherin? HIs diary would probably tell us everything, where the Chamber is, and how to open it, and what sort of creature lives in it, the person who's behind the attacks this time wouldn't want that lying around, would they?"

"That's a brilliant theory, Y/N" Ron said, "with just one tiny little flaw. There's nothing written in his diary."

Hermione got her wand out when Ron finished it and pointed it at the diary. "It might be invisible ink!" She whispered to me. 

She tapped the diary three times and said, "Aparecium!" 

Nothing happened. 

I tossed the diary to Harry and started walking toward the dormitory but Hermione stopped me. 

"Where do you think you're going?" She said.

"To bed?" I hesitated. 

She pulled me into a tight hug, "not without a thank you. Good night Y/N." 

"Good night 'Mione." I said smiling before I walked up the stairs and got into bed.