Moaning Myrtle

Y/N's POV

Madam Pince, the librarian, had been quite suspicious of Hermione and I when we went to get Most Potente Potions from the library. Especially when we presented her the permission slip signed by the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor but we wanted a potions book. 

She held the note up to the light, as though determined to detect a forgery, but the note passed the test. She stalked away between the lofty shelves and returned several minutes later carrying a large and moldy book. I put it carefully into my bag as we left, trying not to look too guilty. 

A couple minutes later Hermione and I were waiting in the out-of-order first floor girls' bathroom. Hermione and I convinced Harry and Ron to meet us there, our main point being that no one used the bathroom so we were guaranteed at least a little bit of privacy. Myrtle was crying quietly in the stall, ignoring us. 

Hermione opened the book and my stomach churned, the damp pages depicted some of the most gruesome potion effects I'd ever seen. There were some that made a witch or wizard turn inside, and an illustration depicted a witch sprouting several extra pairs of arms from out of her head. 

"Ew," Ron said, "I'm going to have nightmares for years." He groaned. 

"Here it is," Hermione said turning the page and pointing to the heading. The Polyjuice Potion heading shone brightly and the illustrations showed multiple witches and wizards partway through transformations into other people. 

"This is the most complicated potion I've ever seen," I said scanning the recipe. "Lacewing flied, leeches, fluxweed, and knotgrass," I murmured, running my finger through the ingredients section, "well, those are easy enough, they're in the student store cupboard, we can help ourselves... shoot, look, powdered horn of a bicorn, don't know where we're going to get that, shredded skin of a boomsland, that'll be tricky too, and of course a bit of whoever we're changing in to."

"Excuse me?" Ron said harshly. "What do you mean, 'a bit of whoever we're changing in to'? I'm drinking nothing with Crabbe's toenails in it-"

"Hair would work." Hermione interrupted. 

"We don't have to worry about that though, because we add those bits last." 

Ron turned to Harry speechless and huffing. 

"Do you realize how much we're going to have to steal, Y/N? Shredded skin of a boomslang, that's definitely not in the students' cupboard. What're we going to do, break into Snape's private stores? I don't know that that's a good idea..."

Hermione slammed the book shut. 

"Well if you two are going to chicken out, fine!" she said harshly. "I don't want to break any rules, you know. I think threatening muggle-borns is far worse than brewing up a difficult potion. If you don't want to find out it's Malfoy, I'll go straight to Madam Pince now and return the book-"

"I never thought I'd see the day when you'd be persuading us to break rules," Ron said surprised, "alright, we'll do it. But I'm not doing toenails, okay?"

"How long will it take anyway?" Harry asked as I opened the book, smiling at Hermione's acting. 

"Well, since the fluxweed has got to be picked at the full moon and the lacewings have got to be stewed for twenty-one days...I'd say it'll be ready in about a month, if we can get all the ingredients." I answered. 

"A month?" Harry exclaimed, "Malfoy could have attacked half the muggle-borns in the school by then!" He breathed and calmed down, seeing that my eyes had narrowed, "but it's the best plan we've got, so full steam ahead, I say."

"Ok." I said smiling, "Hermione and I are better at potions than you two so we'll work on brewing it, while you two get the ingredients from Snape's stores, ok?"

Harry nodded. 

"Where are we going to brew it?" Ron asked. 

"Well, this bathroom's pretty isolated," I said looking around. 

"So here?" Hermione asked, finishing my train-of-thought. 

"Yeah." The rest of us said together.