Herbology

Y/N's POV 

We had double herbology with the Hufflepuffs after breakfast, as Hermione, Harry, Ron, and I walked back to the greenhouses where the various plants Professor Sprout cared for were housed I noticed Hermione was acting perfectly friendly with Harry and Ron. 

The howler must have convinced her they had been punished enough, it was nice seeing them get along, the tension in the room was palpable when Hermione and I were talking about Harry and Ron getting off scot-free. 

As we got to the greenhouses we joined the crowd of our classmates that was patiently waiting for Professor Sprout. We had just joined when we saw Professor Sprout striding to the Green houses accompanied by none other than Gilderoy Lockhart, who was definitely going to make a scene when he noticed Harry was here. 

"Oh, hello there!" Lockhart called, beaming at the students. "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels..."

"Greenhouse three today, chaps!" Professor Sprout said, ignoring Lockhart. She wasn't acting like her normal cheery self. 

A murmur of interest passed through the class. We had only ever had class in greenhouse one, greenhouse three housed far more interesting and dangerous plants. Professor Sprout took a large key from her belt and unlocked the door, I got a strong whiff of damp earth and fertilizer mixed with the sweet aroma of some giant, umbrella-like plants that were hanging from the ceiling. I was about to walk into the greenhouse when Lockhart's hand shot out. 

"Harry! I've been wanting a word, you don't mind if he's a couple minutes late, do you, Professor Sprout? Oh, and Y/N too."

Professor Sprout scowled at Lockhart. As she opened her mouth to protest his request he closed the door on her, saying, "that's the ticket." I was left wandering why Lockhart even wanted to talk to me, or how he knew my name.

"Harry," Lockhart said disappointed and shaking his head, "Harry, Harry, Harry,"

Harry didn't reply. 

"When I heard, well, of course, it was all my fault. Could have kicked myself, don't know when I've been more shocked. Flying a car to Hogwarts! Well, of course, I knew at once why you'd done it. Stood out a mile, Harry, Harry, Harry."

Harry still stood there silent. 

"Gave you a taste for publicity, didn't I?" Lockhart continued. "Gave you the bug. You got onto the front page of the paper with me and you couldn't wait to do it again."

"Oh, no, Professor, see-"

"Harry, Harry, Harry," Lockhart interrupted him, putting his hand on Harry's shoulder. "I understand, natural to want a bit more once you've had that first taste, and I blame myself for giving you that, because it was bound to go to your head, but see here, young man, you can't start flying cars to try and get yourself noticed. Just calm down, all right? Plenty of time for all that when you're older."

"That's got to be the worst advice I've ever heard." I said, finally breaking the silence. 

"Now Y/N, I've heard you're quite the student. Brightest in your class from most of the professors, and Professor Snape raves about the potions you made for him, said you were the most advanced potions maker he's seen in his entire tenure, they also mentioned you were a pretty good flyer is that right? Well if you ever want some training I was a pretty accomplished quidditch player myself back in my school days."

I stared dumb-founded at Lockhart, he was seriously trying to get more famous off of the accomplishments of twelve and thirteen year-olds. "Thanks," I said dismissing everything Lockhart said. As I opened the door I heard him trying to say something else but I grabbed Harry and hurried him through the door. 

Opening the door we saw Professor Sprout and her smile beamed at us, trying to cheer us up after talking with Professor Know-it-all. I was able to get the pot next to Hermione then Professor Sprout started speaking. 

"We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" She asked. 

Hermione and I's hands shot up. 

Professor Sprout called on Hermione, "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative," Hermione said, "It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed back to their original state."

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor," Professor Sprout said, "the Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?" 

Hermione and I's hands shot up again. 

"Mr. Alpherian?" Professor Sprout asked.

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it," I answered quickly. 

"Precisely. Ten more points to Gryffindor," Professor Sprout said, "now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young, so the cries aren't as deadly." She said looking at the earmuffs that were by everyone's pots. 

"As our Mandrakes are only seedlings their cries won't kill yet," she said calmly, "however, they will knock you out for several hours, and as I'm sure none of you want to miss your first day back, make sure your earmuffs are securely in place while you work. I will attract your attention when it is time to pack up. Four to a tray, there is a large supply of pots here, compost in the sacks over there, and be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething."

I spent the rest of herbology repotting Mandrakes with Hermione, I could see her grimacing at the ugly babies every time we took one out of its old home. There was one especially fat one that had bitten hard onto Harry's glove as he tried repotting it. After class no one talked about Lockhart, it was good to not have to worry about that dolt.