Mrs. Norris

Y/N's POV

After dinner Hermione and I said goodbye to Ron and Harry before we walked back up to the common room. We had already finished our homework and we didn't have any more Lockhart books to read (she and I had tied in our game) so we sat and talked. 

"How are you? After everything that happened today?" I asked as we sat down on the couch. 

"I'm fine now," she said as she got closer to me. "How are you?" 

"I'm better, I just can't believe Malfoy called you that." 

"Thanks... you know... for everything." She said as she started crying.

"What's wrong, 'Mione?" I asked calmly. 

"You didn't have to do any of that, but you did for me...why?" 

"Well to be completely honest you mean a lot to me, I know from the outside looking in you could say 'oh you'd that for any one of your friends' but in reality, that's not true. You're the only person I'd do that for Hermione Granger. I care about you a lot." I said hugging her. 

"I care about you too Y/N." She said I noticed my bracelet had been glowing and I let go quickly. 

"What was that for?" Hermione asked hurt, looking at her left hand I saw a very similar bracelet to the one she'd given to me resting on her hand. 

"I just wanted to see the bracelets, you said you had the matching one when you gave me mine, but I've never seen yours." 

"Oh well, here it is." She said smiling as she held up her wrist, the bracelet was just as intricate as mine but smaller and more quaint. Just then I heard a menacing voice.

"Come... come to me... let me rip you...let me tear you...let me kill you..." the voice said. 

"Uh, 'Mione did you hear that voice?" I asked looking around the common. There was no one else there. 

"What voice?" Hermione asked, concern in her face.

"It was talking about ripping and tearing, are you sure you didn't hear it?" 

"No, I only heard you." 

"I think I'm just going crazy then if you didn't hear it." I said chuckling. 

"Y/N Alpherian you are not crazy." Hermione said sternly, "you're kind, and brave, and cute-" she had started playing with my hair but she cut off her last word really quickly. 

"Cute? Huh?" I asked smirking at her. Even though the common room was dark I could tell she was blushing. 

"Well, I think you're pretty cute too." I said holding her hand, before we could say anything else Ron walked clumsily through the portrait hole, and looked at us. 

"I think I'm going straight to bed." He yawned. 

"Night Ron." I said looking at the boy, I'm glad he was basically sleep-walking I didn't need him remembering what he'd seen and talking to Harry about it. 

Not long after Ron went up to his bed room Harry walked silently through the portrait hole. Noticing Hermione and I he said, "you guys stayed up for me?"

"Yeah, we did." I said. 

"Did you guys hear the voice?" He asked as he walked over to us. 

"The one that was talking about ripping, tearing and killing?" Hermione asked sarcastically. 

"Yeah that one." Harry said looking at her. 

Hermione gasped, "I was just joking." 

"Did you hear it too then Hermione?" 

"No Y/N did."

We sat there in silence, thinking about what it could have been.

"Well, maybe it was Peeves playing a sick joke." Hermione said breaking the silence. 

"Even he can't be in two places at once 'Mione, I'm not going to worry about it." I said leaning back into the couch. 

"Goodnight Y/N, goodnight Hermione." Harry said climbing the stairs. 

"Goodnight Harry," we whispered as we hugged again. 

Eventually Hermione had fallen asleep so I had to wake her up and make sure she got into her dormitory fine. After I heard her mumble goodnight I walked up to my bedroom very quietly but I was ambushed by everyone else in my year. 

Ron spoke first, "so Harry and I have just spoken and we couldn't help but notice you and Hermione being all over each other tonight, care to tell us anything?" 

"Nope, nothing's changed." I said climbing into bed and smiling. 

"Not even a little bit? It's got to be obvious that she likes you back now!" Harry continued. 

"Honestly, I don't know, but whatever her and I have right now makes me happy, and if that continues then great. I don't want you two getting involved and ruining it. Goodnight and Happy Halloween." I said as I cloved the duvet around my bed. 

Halloween had normally been a reason to celebrate. The teachers normally got into the spirit and decorated the classrooms, some of them even wore themed robes to their classes and taught Halloween lessons and how some wizarding traditions had passed into muggle culture. Halloween this year however was kind of boring, Harry had told Nearly-Headless Nick he'd go to his death day party so instead of going to the feast we were in the dungeon surrounded by the pungent stench of rotting food. The Bloody Baron did remember me though, I got the opportunity to introduce Hermione to him and the Fat Friar. 

"Maybe there's still some pudding?" Ron suggested eagerly hopeful at the prospect of eating some actual food. 

"Let's just get out of here, this part of the dungeons gives me the creeps." I said as Hermione huddled closer to me. As we made our way up the stairs I heard the voice again. 

"...rip...tear...kill...."

I'm guessing Harry heard it too, he looked at me. "Do you hear it too Y/N? The voice?" He said, clutching his scar. 

I nodded, I noticed that there was magic flowing from the walls, faintly it moved in one direction and then stopped, completely disappearing. 

"Harry, Y/N, what are you doing?" Ron asked concerned.

"It's that voice again, be quiet for a minute Ron." I replied

"...so hungry...for so long..."

"Listen!" Harry said urgently, Hermione and Ron froze, watching us. 

"...Kill...time to kill...

The voice had grown faint, it seemed to be going away. 

"This way!" I said noticing the magic on the wall had come back, and was moving upwards. I led everyone upstairs into the entrance hall but the chatter from the feast was too loud and I couldn't hear anything. I ran up the staircase to the first floor with Hermione at my side. 

"Y/N, what are we doing?" She asked concerned. 

"Shh, I think I can hear it again." I said looking at the walls and closing my eyes. 

I heard the voice again, but from the floor above us. 

"...I smell blood... I SMELL BLOOD!"

My stomach lurched and I grabbed Hermione's hand. "It's going to kill someone!" I shouted as we ran up the stairs to stop the attack. Running up the stairs Hermione and I threw open the door to the second floor corridor but Harry and Ron beat us there.

"Harry, Y/N, what was that all about?" Ron asked panting. "I couldn't hear anything other than the feast!"

Hermione gasped and was pointing down the corridor. I looked where she was pointing and as I walked down the hallway I saw red writing glimmering in the moonlight. 

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED, ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.

"What's that hanging from the brazier?" Harry asked pointing. 

As I walked up I looked and gulped. 

It was Filch's cat

She was lifeless and completely stiff.