The legend of the Chamber of Secrets

All four of us stood there stuck in the corridor, we had no idea what to do as the noise from the Grand hall echoed through the hallways towards us. Eventually the corridor was packed with students, staring at either the four of us or Mrs. Norris. 

"Enemies of the heir, beware! You'll be next mudbloods!" We heard someone yelling. 

It was Malfoy, he had pushed himself to the front of the crowd. As I went over to tell him off Filch appeared. 

"What's going on here? What's going on?" Filch demanded as his eyes came to rest on Mrs. Norris. 

"My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?" He shrieked.

His eyes fell on Harry. 

"You!" He screeched. "You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll-"

"Argus!" Dumbledore had arrived and began telling students to leave for their common rooms. He walked up to Mrs. Norris and examined her with the other teachers that arrived, then delicately removed her where she had been perched. 

"Come with me, Argus," he said to Mr. Filch, "you, too Mr. Alpherian, Miss Granger, Mr. Potter, and Mr. Weasley." 

Lockhart stepped forward eagerly. 

"My office is nearest, headmaster, just upstairs, please feel free-"

"Thank you Gilderoy." Dumbledore said as he ushered us upstairs. 

The students who had remained left as the teachers escorted them away from the corridor, as we entered Lockhart's office we saw various portraits of Lockhart either curling their hair or vainly talking to themselves in the mirrors hanging from their walls. 

Professor McGonagall and Snape were waiting for us in Lockhart's office and as we arrived Snape sneered. 

"It was definitely a curse that killed her, probably the Transmogrifian Torture. I've seen it used many times, so unlucky I wasn't there, I know the very counter curse that would have saved her." Lockhart said, all the professors sighed like they didn't want him there. He rambled for a couple minutes before he realized his rants were falling on deaf ears, he eventually left shambling his feet and looking dejected that his attempts for attention failed. 

Filch was crying as he came in. "Argus, she is not dead, she is petrified. How, I do not know." Dumbledore said as he comforted the man. 

"Ask him then!" Filch snarled, pointing at Harry. "He'd know how it happened he's the one who did it!" 

"No second year could have done this," Dumbledore said firmly, "it would take dark magic of the most advanced-"

"He did it, he did it!" Filch spat. "You saw what he wrote on the wall! He found, in my office, he knows I'm a-I'm a-" Filch's face contorted in anger and pain, "he knows I'm a squib!" he finally yelled.

"I never touched Mrs. Norris!" Harry said loudly. 

"If I might speak, Headmaster," Snape said from the desk, "Potter and his friends may have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said grinning, "but we do have a set of suspicious circumstances here. Why was he in the upstairs corridor at all? Why weren't they at the Halloween feast?"

"We were at Deathday party, Professor Snape, Sir Nicks'" I said. 

"But why not join the feast afterward?" Snape said, the fire flickering back at us through his dark eyes. "Why go up to that corridor?"

"Because we were tired and we wanted to go bed." I said dully.

"Without any supper?" Snape said, a proud smile stretching across his sallow face. "I didn't think ghosts provided food fit for living people at their parties."