The potion

Y/N's POV

"Who can it be though?" Hermione asked one day as we were all in the common room. "Who'd want to frighten all the squibs and muggle-borns out of Hogwarts?"

"Let's think," Ron said with mock sincerity, "who do we know who thinks Muggle-borns are scum?"

I looked at Hermione as he said this, she looked back at me unconvinced.

"If you're talking about Malfoy-"

"Of course I am!" Ron said. "You heard him, 'you'll be next mudbloods!'. Come on, you've only got to look at his foul rat face to know it's him-"

"Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?" Hermione said skeptically.

"I mean, look at his family," I said, "the whole lot of them have been in Slytherin, he's always boasting about it. They could easily be Slytherin's descendants."

"His father's definitely evil though." Harry added.

"They could've had the key to the Chamber of Secrets for centuries!" Ron said. "Handing it down, father to son..."

"Well," Hermione said tentatively, "I suppose it's possible..."

"But how do we prove it?" I asked

Hermione thought for a minute. "I know! Snape was talking about this potion yesterday, but I can't remember the name..."

"You don't mean the polyjuice potion?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"Yeah! The polyjuice potion!" She said smiling at me.

"That would be breaking around fifty rules, I mean I don't care, but do you?" I asked Hermione.

"Mind telling us?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, what's the polyjuice potion?" Ron added.

"You're lucky Hermione and I pay attention," I said, "it transforms you into somebody else. Think about it! We could change into four of the Slytherins. No one would know it was us. Malfoy would probably tell us anything if we changed into the right ones. He's probably boasting about it right now in the Slytherin common room, if only we could hear him." I explained

"This polyjuice potion sounds a bit dodgy to me," Ron said frowning, "what if we were stuck looking like four of the Slytherins forever."

"It wears off after a while," Hermione said, "but the problem is that getting hold of the recipe will be very difficult. Snape said it was in a book called Most Potente Potions and it's bound to be in the Restricted Section of the library."

"You'd need a teacher to give you permission to get a book from the restricted section." I said in defeat.

"Wait a minute..." Harry said looking at Hermione and I, "Lockhart! He loves you two because you're the only ones who pay attention during his classes, both of you could ask him."

Hermione and I looked at each other and grumbled. It was true that we paid attention in Lockhart's classes but we were still trying to get the best marks we could, despite his idiocy.

"I guess," Hermione grumbled, "We can go ask him now, you still want to go Y/N?"

We got up and walked through the portrait hole, as Hermione and I walked through the door Lockhart perked up from his seat and looked at us, he smiled.

"Er, Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "We wanted to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading." She said holding out the slip where we wrote the book's title. "But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it, we're sure it would help us understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow acting venoms...