Episode 4 - Stabbed in the Back

Start from the beginning

"Lloyd, what?"

He doesn't answer. He charges at me, at the door. I have no choice. I allow the balls of energy to disappear from my hands before splaying my right hand, palm out, at him. Lloyd's eyes widen and then he is frozen, the energy he was once using to charge at me floating a few feet above his body in a mass of purple and black.

"Nice work," says Ronin, strutting over with a pair of handcuffs in his hands. He hooks them on Lloyd's wrist and smiles. "Two down, four to go."

        ~

"Alright, Tash, you know the plan."

"Yep," I mumble, not bothering to look up from my book.

Ronin glances behind him, momentarily taking his eyes from the sky. "Whatcha readin'?"

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix; my favorite Harry Potter book because of how domestic it is. "None of your business. Pay attention and drive."

"R.E.X. can easily be put on autopilot."

"And I can just as easily crush your lungs," I snap, glaring at him over the top of my book.

"Still feisty as always I see. Ah, looks like they're coming up. I'm going down."

"Kay."

And then Ronin presses a button for R.E.X. to hover, tosses a rope over the side, and slides down. I return my attention to the book. Harry is currently in detention with Umbridge, writing the words "I must not tell lies" on his parchment, consequently carving them into his skin. A few moments later, Ronin says the four words that are my signal.

"Go get them, R.E.X."

With a sigh, I shut my book and set it on the ground, pressing the red "hover" button to turn it off, and direct the ship in chase of Kai and Nya. They drive through the maze that is the Corridor of Elders, occasionally throwing fireballs at me.

"What're ya doin? Shoot back!" Ronin shouts through my earpiece.

With a roll of my eyes, I summon a ball of energy and toss it at them. The explosion causes a few rocks off the side to crumble and fall, conveniently blocking one of their possible escape paths. Their only choice is to go exactly where we want them.

"Get lower, Tasha!"

I do as I'm told and R.E.X. is nearly scraping the ground as we fly down a narrow passage. Then, Kai and Nya come to a screeching halt as they come across a dead end.

"Off the bikes and hands up. And don't try any of that Elemental stuff, or else R.E.X won't play nice," says Ronin, appearing from behind the airship. He's been tailing us on a motorcycle this whole time, which dropped down from the back or R.E.X. the moment I gave chase.

"We were framed," Kai exclaims. "And then--"

"Save it. Already heard it," Ronin says, placing handcuffs on both Kai and Nya. "All right, R.E.X., show's over."

I press a blue button on the control panel and the giant rock blocking their path disappears.

"You tricked us!" Nya exclaims.

"Technically, this was Tasha's idea, so she's the one who tricked you, not me."

Kai's eyes widen. "Wait, what?"

"Come on out, sweet heart."

I put R.E.X. into hover mode again and hop off the airship. Both Nya and Kai stare incredulously as I approach. Then Nya's eyes narrow.

"You're working with him!?"

"Please don't yell so loud. I've already got a migraine from his constant pestering," I reply, squeezing my eyes shut to feign a wince.