Chapter 24

Scotland, Hogwarts School
Of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The long dining tables were filled with endless supplies of meats, vegetables and all kinds of potatoes, drinks and almost anything you could think of. (Y/n) dug her spoon into the pile of mashed potatoes on her plate, humming with delight at the delicious taste in her mouth. To her right was Neville, to her left was Hermione and across from them sat Harry, Ron and Seamus. After a while, Professor Dumbledore stepped up to him pedestal where the golden owl on the front spread its wings, hush fell over the large hall.

"Welcome all to another wonderful year at Hogwarts! Now before we all become too befuddled with the excellent desserts that have been prepared, I would like to say a few words. First, I am pleased to welcome professor R J Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of defence against the dark arts teacher, good luck professor" the old bearded man announced as he motioned towards a man who (Y/n) recognised from the train. He had checked on her after the dementor attack and, as Hermione mentioned, had fended off the dementor that attacked Harry.

The hall broke out in applause for the new professor who stood up with a humble smile. The long, black haired man beside him looked incredibly bemused by the situation, so nothing out of the ordinary. Whilst everyone was applauding, a voice called over to the table "Potter....Potter! Is it true you fainted? Like you actually fainted." Malfoy sneered as his fellow Slytherins mocked the raven haired boy. "Shove off Malfoy." Ron retorted, pulling Harry to face Hermione and (Y/n) who both had inimpressed looks on their faces for the platinum haired boy.

"Secondly, I must inform that professor Kettleburn who has taught care of magical creatures for many years at Hogwarts, has decided to retire, in order to spend time with his remaining limbs." The headmaster declared. This news made (Y/n) sigh, she had grown fond of the slightly loopy professor Kettleburn, he always loved to rant about all of the creatures he kept on the grounds, always praising the girl for being so dedicated to this rather underated subject. "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that the position will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" He beamed as he said the name.

The hall erupted with cheers, especially from the third year Gryffindors, Seamus was whistling while (Y/n) and Harry were stood up applauding the friendly Half giant who had been prompted to stand by professor McGonagall. Unfortunately, as usual, Hagrid had seemed to forget how much bigger he was that the rest of the staff, bumping the table forward and rattling the cutlery, earning some laughs from the students. "Finally, on a more pressing note, as requested by the ministry, Hogwarts this year, will until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban, until such a time that Sirius Black is captured."

The atmosphere in the once joyous hall became serious and thick, students murmured amongst themselves about the current events. "The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds, now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disturb our day to day activities, a word of caution." The man's voice grew low. "Dementors are vicious creatures and will not distinguish between the one they hunt, and the ones that get in their way, therefore I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you, it is not in the nature for a dementor to be forgiving. But you see, happiness can be found in the darkest of times, when only one remembers to turn on the light."

The Headmaster's words hung in the air for the rest of the feast until it was time for the students to make their ways to their dormitories. The students made their way up the stairs in pairs until they reached the seventh floor where the fat lady was practicing her opera. Seamus ran up to the painting as said "Fortuna Major!" But the lady just hushed him and continued to sing at her glass goblet. "Ugh she won't let me in!" Seamus complained. Harry stepped forward, "Fortuna Major!" But the lady frowned "No no! Wait wait!" She replied before she started shrieking an ear piercingly high note.