twenty-seven ➳ when in sicily☑️

The table that was previously bare and empty was now filled with expensive plates and cutlery. Each of the twelve chairs, except two, had a family member seated in them excited and almost watering at the mouth while they waited for the food to be served. The family consisted of an even mix of healthy men and women ranging from newborns to the elderly. When Alexis and Historia arrived back at the table, the carefree conversations and joy disappeared completely. By then, the whole house had been informed of who Alexis was and what they had originally come there for. Historia squeezed Alexis' hand in reassurance when she felt the vampire tense up. The girl knew that if they let their emotions rise any further, it would unravel all progress made up until now.

Thankfully Elizabeth burst through the double doors of the kitchen with a row of men and women in black and white, each holding a plate filled to the brim with spaghetti and meatballs.

"Ah, miei cari figli (Ah, my dear children). Sit down, don't be shy." She smiled and welcomed Historia and Alexis once her gaze landed on the pair. The only free seats were near the head of the table, right next to Elizabeth. This pleased the pair greatly as they both knew that if they were seated with anyone else in the family, Alexis' composure would snap.

Once they took their seats opposite each other, the redhead's stomach grumbled at the sight of the mouth-watering dish in front of her. The last time she had eaten was on the plane, and in the air food is never the best.

"Before we begin," Elizabeth began loudly which immediately caught the attention of the whole table, "I would like to thank the gods for blessing us with the visit of long lost family," Elizabeth picked up a glass and looked at Alexis, "Our dear Alessio has returned and the curse on our family is now no more. Today signifies a new beginning for all of us."

At first, the table was sceptical of Elizabeth's claim and their stairs lingered on Alexis. Who could blame them? Their ancestors had to constantly live in fear of Alexis' vengeance; not many other people would be able to understand fear like that. However, as Elizabeth had mentioned, the stories of Alexis' past were common knowledge within the mansion, so they had an understanding of where Alexis was coming from.

The sceptic atmosphere became near suffocating. Alexis began to regret the decision to trust Historia and come here and apologise. Their eyes darted around the table at all the blank faces staring at them.

What made me think that this family could ever forgive and forget? If I just kept everything to myself none of this would have happened. What's wrong with you Alexis why are you so stupid-

"Cheers to that."

Someone at the far end of the table spoke up which helped ease the tension. At this, The table erupted into cheers and laughter. Historia looked up before digging into her food and saw that Alexis was smiling slightly as they conversed in their native language with those sitting around them. The redhead's chest swelled with warmth as if she were a giddy teenager.

"How long have you been in love?" A soft voice asked beside Historia. The girl wasn't expecting to have to interact with anyone as of yet and so the shock made her almost choke on her first few bites of the steaming food.

"Excuse me?" Historia asked politely once she had recovered.

The woman next to her who spoke was similar in height and build to Historia. Her hair was a dark brown and was tied into a messy bun. Even though the style was supposed to be messy, the woman was very neat. She wore a white blouse that had no creases in sight paired with green soft trousers. The features of her face were soft and inviting, nothing like how Alexis described their birth family to be. Historia however remembered that their description was several thousands of years old.