twenty-three ➳ the hunted☑️

"In a matter of seconds, you will be escorted to your start positions. The Nominees will need to always stay 500 metres away from each other, this will be made easy as you are all assigned sections within the map. When the game begins you will have a ten minute head start and then the hour timer will begin. All forms of fighting and aggression are allowed." Vivian explained the rules in a monotone voice. It was safe to say that her tone was far from a reflection of what she felt.

"Good luck to all candidates." Diane finished the announcement and the screen disappeared.

The ground then trembled violently and the figures in all black finished their fidgeting and fixing of all equipment and gear. They scurried away into a tunnel which led into the stands of the arena. Historia looked around frantically and saw that the middle of the pitch had split in half neatly and was slowly separating from each other. From the middle emerged more plates of grass that matched the field and so extended the length of the already enormous arena.

The stands in which students were sitting began to move outwards and up. As this was a game that involved sanctioned slaughter it was best that the audience were as far out of the danger zone as possible. While the arena moved, each member in the nominee group was escorted away from each other and to their respective sections of the field. 5 women in black returned and assigned themselves to each person. The woman who stood by Historia held the girl's arm firmly. The whole time the arena was shifting, Historia was trying to calm herself down by giving a mental pep talk. So far it had been effective but when she saw the distance that was being put between her and her friends, the panic returned.

The redhead hoped and wished for something, anything to indicate that it was all going to be okay.

"Historia..." Jaylene's voice echoed in the redhead's ears, "I know you can hear me, say something back."

Historia initially wanted the voice to be Alexis, but the girl wasn't displeased to hear the younger vampire.

"I-I hear you but how?"

"I guess the adrenaline of this situation heightened your senses without you realising. Look, I didn't get to say goodbye and give one of my amazing TED talks so here I go... You're pretty violent when you want to be, even though The Dean gives me some weird vibes from time to time I'm sure the stuff she's taught you about control holds some semblance, so when you feel like you're tipping into the edge please remember that you're still you. By all means, be badass, scary and angry but don't lose sight of the fact that you're still Historia under all of that. It's been a long while since one of your outbursts and I believe this time you've got it in the bag."

"Thank you, Jaylene. What would I do without you?" Historia spoke back.

"You'd be shitting your pants, one hundred per cent."

"I have a question, so far I've only been able to focus on one voice, how do I do multiple."

"Open your ears to everything around you. To an extent, your powers are only limited by your mind."

"Thank you again, and good luck."

"Pfft, I don't need it. Even though It's been a while since I've smashed some heads, I haven't lost my edge."

"So you're going on the fighting offensive?"

"Aren't you?"

"I don't think I'm ready to purposely tear someone's heart out."

"That's understandable."

"I'll keep running until I have no other option."

"Just don't die loser. I don't know what I'd do without you either."