fourteen ➳ scars of the past☑️

The ride back to Rhea's house was silent. Historia sat in the back of the jeep on her own, zoned out. Rhea and Avery focussed their attention on the road ahead. Avery pulled up at Rhea's bungalow quickly. Rhea was relieved as it meant the weird night she was having would finally be over.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow boss. You owe me for stealing my date."

"I owe you jack shit Avery, drive home safe."

Rhea got out of the car and shut the door behind her. Out of courtesy, Rhea opened the backdoors for Historia which finally broke her out of her daze.

"Your majesty." Rhea joked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I think I just dozed off." Historia apologised.

"No worries, we all have our times."

They both waved goodbye to Avery and Rhea escorted Historia to her front door. The nerves escaped Rhea until now. As she fumbled with her keys, it dawned that she was bringing who she believed an incredibly rich and beautiful European girl to her home. It was even more nerve-wracking because Historia still seemed to be in a different world entirely which gave Rhea the impression Historia didn't want to be there.

Despite all her nerves, in Rhea's soul, she still believed that inviting Historia there was the right decision. She hoped as the night went on, the reason why she felt this would be explained.

Rhea pushed open her front door after finally winning her small battle against her house keys. The blonde allowed the redhead to walk in first ahead of her. Historia's eyes widened when she crossed the threshold into Rhea's house which held the pleasant smell of freshly cut wood. The decoration was plain as if they had only just moved in but that wasn't the case; both Rhea and her father were barely even home. Her training hours meant she was always at a gym or somebody else's house and when she wasn't training, the arms dealing business she ran with her father meant that most of her time was occupied in the basement.

"Shit!" The girl murmured under her breath remembering the latter and the important event that was taking place later tonight, one that required an empty house and her father's presence in the basement.

"Did you say something?" Historia asked.

"Oh uh no... I think I have something sharp stuck in my shoe, no worries. The spare room is upstairs, I'll be with you in about 5 minutes. I just have to take a phone call."

"Oh alright, and thank you for this."

"Don't sweat it." Rhea smiled. In the back of her mind, she hoped the girl would get the hint and go to the spare room without having to be told.

Historia smiled politely before she climbed the stairs to the floor above. As soon as the girl was out of sight, Rhea rushed past her kitchen island and into her office room near the back of the house, closing the door behind her. She reached into her pocket and took out a brick phone so she could dial her father's number. Her father wasn't one to take business usuriously, which is why he answered instantly.

"Rhea? Are you okay? Is there trouble?" A dark voice spoke on the other line.

"I may have slightly messed up."

"What did you do?"

"A friend of mine..." She paused trying to think of a believable cover story, " She went through something traumatic today. I couldn't stand by and do nothing knowing she had taken such a loss. So, without remembering our meeting tonight, I may have invited her to stay over."

"Rhea-" He began.

"Please don't be mad, she had nowhere to go, and I couldn't stop myself from helping someone in need."