chapter 24 | Shared bed

No time for my brain and heart to adjust to this, my phone rings, so I quickly leave Joonha's lap and pick up the call. "Hello?" I get out of the room to be alone and close the door behind me. "Hey, I'm sorry to call at this hour, I hope you were not trying to sleep, but I need to talk to you about something."

"I was just watching Joonha play and talking so don't worry, I wasn't in bed. You can tell me," I lean back on the wall to be ready to listen carefully, feeling nervous when there is no good reason to be. "Alright, I'm calling you instead of Joonha because I know that if I talk about it over the phone, this is going to go wrong, and he'll end up being mad at me, so since I know how calm you are, I want to talk about it with you," he tells me, giving me the explanation. "Oh, okay. I see, but what is it about? Is it that serious?"

"Uhm, this is about Harin, we were dining, but the thing is that she told me that you've been having problems at your house with the electricity, and it's been difficult for her since this morning because she claims that she couldn't pay the bill this month, and there's no water or electricity in your house, so first of all, I wanted to know from you if this was true or not," he worries about what can and cannot be trusted, and with pity, I glance down. "That's a lie, Mister Jeon. She has more than enough money, so unless she spent all the money on something completely unnecessary, she's lying."

"Okay..." he sighs, hating what she is taking him for and feeling stupid for sure. "Well, she asked me if she could come to my house for a week, and I didn't know if it was true or not, I wanted to believe her, and in the spur of the moment, I couldn't say no," he proves me right. He proves me that she is getting what she wants from him, gradually, and I knew this would happen. "So she's going to come back with me...and spend the week with us. I really had no choice, y/n, I felt horrible and couldn't refuse..."

"It's okay, Mister Jeon. Don't be worried, I'm going to talk to Joonha about it and leave the house so that she doesn't know—"

"Wait, what?" he cuts me off. "You're not going to leave, y/n. Where are you going to go? I just have to tell her that you came and visited Joonha today, you don't have to leave. Do not do that."

"She'll know that I lied to her. I'd rather not...face her...so I can't stay, but it's fine. I can just go back home while you're driving here, or I can call someone. Don't worry about that," I reassure him, feeling hatred for the woman that I cannot stop but only live with depending on what she does. "I'm gonna talk to Joonha, try not to come back too early. Warn me about it so that I know if I ever have to hurry."

"Y/n..." he pronounces my name in a regretful voice, but I smile, handling the situation like I am used to doing it. "It's okay, Mister Jeon. See you, and be careful on the road," I hang up, not being mad at him but her and me.

I take a deep breath before opening the door and stand on my spot, knowing this is useless to go back on his lap.

"Hey, I have to talk to you but quick," I watch him turn his chair towards me, expressing worry. "So, my mom made your dad feel bad again, she lied about some stuff to get him by his feelings, and she kinda forced him to take her home but also put her up for a whole week—"

"What?!" he reacts like I expected him to. "Are you fucking kidding me? You're joking right now, aren't you?" he does not believe me, or does not want to. "I'm not joking, Joonha, but please, don't be mad. Your dad didn't have a choice, she lied and manipulated him again. Don't be mad at him, alright? I have to hurry though because I can't stay here, otherwise,  she's gonna go berserk if she sees that I was actually staying here—"

"Wait, I need a moment," he lifts his hand up to not let me continue once again. "You're not leaving this house. I don't give a fuck about this bitch. You stay with us, and she doesn't come in."