chapter 20 | Concern

"About her..." he does not surprise me at all. "Tell me," I nod and puff on my cigarette, but he walks towards the swinging bench and sits down, seeming worried again. I remain silent to let him decide when he wants to start, hoping for it to not be as serious as it was earlier.

He applies some pressure against the ground with one foot to swing the bench in a slow manner. "I thought about what we said earlier..." he mentions the worst, appearing to be extremely distressed about this. "And I don't know, I thought that maybe you could help her a lot as a father. She trusts you, she loves being with you, so don't you think you could try to make her understand it yourself?"

"What do you mean by that?" I frown, standing on my spot and looking at him going back and forth. "You're a dad. You're a man, you're mature. If you talk about the abuse and the fact that she should not be—"

"Joonha," I lift my hand up to put a stop, and I close my eyes for longer seconds. "I won't do that. I know how she will react, and she will drift apart from us."

"No, you don't know that," he does not want to listen to my words. "What if tomorrow is too late?! What if that bitch hurts her but makes it the last hit because she couldn't control herself?! I'm scared—"

"Making her face it will not change anything, Joonha! You need to understand that she has been manipulated, and there are many things you do not know. We both are having this talk when you do not even know if Harin is the one truly harming her, if she even is doing so—"

"She is!" he shouts at me, losing his temper once again. "I saw those fucking bruises! I know she starves her, I know all the things y/n tells me about her, how she feels and unconsciously behaves around her! Staying quiet and waiting is not the right thing to do! It's like waiting for the worst to happen, this is exactly what people need to stop doing because that leads to people dying under their fucking eyes!"

"You're going way too far right now," I do not tolerate this behavior, those words he is using. "You told me you understood earlier, why are you doing this again?"

"Because I can't stand it anymore. I know what is happening to her, and if no one does anything to help her now, she's gonna end up in a hospital, if not worst," he does not think rationally, thinking about the worst when nothing has been proven yet. All of those are assumptions only, and he does not realize how damaging this could be if he is wrong.

"Let's talk about it after we saw her, we will decide what we do, okay? You are a child, but I am a father, and as a parent, you have no idea how hurtful it can be to be accused of abuse on your own children. I would never want to know someone thinks that of me, but I do understand that it is much better than not preventing more harm to happen to someone, but y/n will be with us tomorrow, so she'll be safe, and you won't have to worry," I attempt to put his mind at rest so that he stops worrying himself sick. "I told you. I'm taking care of this."

"Convince her to stay here this weekend," he tells me with despair, but knowing how important it is for him, as much as it is for me, I give him my word. "I will."

"I'm sorry for speaking to you that way...I'm just scared for her..." he apologizes without me telling him to do it, but I do not make a big deal or blame him. "It's okay. I understand," I stub my cigarette out and put my glasses back on. "I'll make sure she's safe. Alright? I want the same as you do. I don't want her to get hurt, so I'll do my best."

He nods, finally being calm, and I ruffle my hair but check on Choco, who is having a good time in the grass.

"You always have an effect on every girl or woman you meet, I wonder how you do that," he gazes up at me. "She's always so shy when you're around or that you talk to her, you're way too much of a main character," he chuckles, quietly. "Stop. You know what effect you have on girls."