chapter 19 | Personal

"Have you received a text from y/n's mom today?" he questions me as if he came here for that only. "I don't know. My phone has been charging since I came back because it didn't last night. Why do you ask though?" I peek at him, briefly to not hurt myself while he is continuing. "Y/n told me her mom wanted to invite you for dinner tomorrow."

"Oh," I do not express any happiness about this, hoping she will change her mind and ask to another man. "Yeah, 'oh'," he reads between the lines, knowing what this lack of reaction means. "Does that mean you were talking with y/n?" I switch gears for Harin to not be the subject of our conversation. "Yes, she'll be here tomorrow, and I told her about what we were talking about yesterday. She said she would want to but needs to think about it."

"Great. You'd love her to spend the weekend here, right?" I gaze up at his face to check the answer his features give, but the broad smile he is showing speaks for him. "Kinda."

I smile at how precious he is, seeing through his eyes and behavior. I know he has a crush on her, no matter what he claims.

"I haven't told, but we talked while you were skating with Seunggil the other day," I move to the side to clean my hands after touching the raw meat. "And she told me about a boy she dated and who cheated on her with multiple girls."

"She never told me about that," he looks at me, seeming pleased by the news. "That means we both went through the same though."

"Yeah," I nod but hate to have to agree with him. I towel my hands and stand before the induction plate to warm the frying pan up. "Has she talked about her dad to you though?"

I shake my head but wonder why he is curious about this. "Why?"

"I don't know," he eats a piece of carrot before filling the bowl with the rest of the vegetables he cut like I asked him to. "Something seems off with the mom. She never mentions her dad, looks uncomfortable when he is mentioned. I'm just worried."

"Well, maybe this is better to let her decide whether she wants to speak about it or not. I believe that if she does not want to say anything about him, she has a good reason for it," I hope for him to understand and not ever ask her a question that might bring back bad memories. "I know, but I'm worried. She is like..." his breathing ends his sentence as if he did not know how to do it with more words, so I stare at him. "Like what?"

"Like...not okay at her house," he does not let go of what he seems to have to keep hidden inside. "She'd be much better here, with meals every day, with care, attention..." his every word preoccupies me, creating some tension. I do not glance away from him, seeing how serious this matter is. "You know, the other night," he lays his hands down on the counter and fixes his eyes on everything but me. "Something happened while she was sleeping. It was scary, but I didn't want to tell her about it because I felt like it would embarrass her, but while I was texting Seunggil on my phone and that she was sleeping, I started hearing some noise from her. The lights were turned off because I didn't want to disturb her sleep, but I kept the neon lights on so that I could see, and at first, I didn't do anything but watched her. She was like...I don't know...mumbling some stuff...then she started breathing really hard, so much that I was worried that she would lose consciousness, so I went up to her to calm her down, but as soon as I touched her, she started crying as if she was terrified. I managed to calm her down by rubbing her back and all, but I heard some weird stuff..."

"What did you hear?" I frown, feeling shocked. I was so sound asleep that I did not even hear anything on that night. "Some words...like...it sounded like she was asking for her dad. It hurt me a lot," he lowers his chin and straightens his back, but as my thoughts are mingling and messing with me, he raises his eyes up to mine. "She's scared of her mom...I feel it. I mean, have you seen what her mom does? Y/n cannot even talk about her father without looking hurt, but this woman is hooking up with new men every week as if she never had a husband. Y/n is so used to it that she knows exactly what she does when she brings a new name up."