44| Q U A R A N T A-Q U A T T R O

Start from the beginning

I managed a small nod, she didn't waste a minute and got out of the car. I gave my head a little shake and got out as well, following her lead. We both held suitcases filled with our stuff. I packed my drawer instead of shipping it back again and she brought a few things from her massive closet. I only got there once, when she was packing actually. She was picking what to take and I was searching for her. She signed me to come in the closet and my mouth dropped. It's huge, clothes organised by length and materials. It's five times the size of my bedroom and believe me when I say I have a big room, until I've seen her castle.

It sounds like a fairy tale story, no one nowadays owns castles. We all buy lands and build them into mansions but Akila did the exact opposite. She brought back old traditions and made them into something much more remarkable.

We stood in front of the main doors, waiting patiently for anyone to open the door. They're all up by now, it is nine in the morning which means only Lydia and Lia are asleep. No one knows I'm coming today, I haven't contacted any of them since the night I left and I'm thankful none of them bothered me these past days.

The door started opening gradually which made me and Akila look up, Armando stood on the other side and when he met our gaze, he screamed. Everyone came rushing to the door half panicked and finally saw us.

Lilanna shouted a yes and started pushing Adriano to take away my bags. I laughed at her and walked in the house before Akila. I walked past the shocked Armando when I heard Kira offering Akila help, I knew she already refused with a simple head shake. Dante stood right in front of me, his hands resting in his pocket as his face bright up with a smile.

With no words in need, he gave me a half hug and patted my back three times before pulling away. I turned my head to Adriano offering me a hand, I took it and shaked it remembering the night by the pool.

Everyone welcomed us with smiles, hand shakes and small hugs. We all sat around the living room, I got stuck between Armando and Emilion while Lianna sat on Adriano's lap. The rest shared the rest of the seats and Akila took the biggest armchair in front of me. A small table separated us and a few metres, her head fell to the back as the chair supported her neck. I suppose she's tried and it hit me. She can't even rest her exhausted body. I sensed something wrong, I felt off and wanted to take her somewhere alone to sit there and make her forget for just a moment all of this.

Julia tried to talk us into eating breakfast but we both rejected. "Come on guys, they must be tired. We should let them rest" and there goes another wave, washing away any delight I felt.

They all stood up in understanding and left shortly after. I gathered my strength, pushing away my thoughts and forced myself off the coach. I approached Akila knowing she would feel my presence. I held out my hand for her and waited. Her face slowly turned back to its normal position and she looked at my hand for three seconds before she moved her body forward and got up. Then she took my hand a little aggressively yet very gently. Her fingers brushed between my skin and tightened around my fingers. Without resisting, I brought our joined hands to my face and placed a muted kiss on the top of her hand.

I walked us up the stairs and down the hallways, I would glance at her a few times and her eyes would blink slower with each step we took. I wished to carry her, however I know she won't enjoy that right now. I don't want her to think I'm showing any signs of pity or sympathy, I genuinely want to help.

But I know she doesn't want my help.

Finally we stood right outside my bedroom and I've never felt more relieved. I made sure to stop in front of her room in case she wanted space but she responded by guiding us forwards. I twisted the door knob and she pushed the door open as she walked in, I followed right after her and closed the door.