Book 6: Chapter 24

Start bij het begin

'Is he going to confess?' Harry thought, still had not wrapped the idea of his sister talking to herself that he hadn't known, or whatever it was that Dumbledore gave his sister at the tournament. These were questions that he needed answers to, and yet he stayed under the floors watching.

"Replacing a bottle of mead with one laced with poison? Forgive me, Draco," Dumbledore points out, his tone turning into a mockery. "I cannot help feeling these actions are so weak, your heart can't have been in them."

"He trusts me," Draco grits, cocking his wand steady in the Headmaster's direction. "I was chosen," he says, slowly pulling down his wand and pulling up his sleeve. He winced when the fabric came in contact with his skin, revealing a dark mark, only this one was noticeably darker, more death-like against his pale skin.

"Then I shall make it easy for you," Dumbledore says, opening his arms wide open.

"Expelliarmus!" Draco quickly chanted at the sight of Dumbledore's wand, heaving deeply with his mind on edge.

"Very good," Dumbledore praised Draco, hearing a door unlock.

Harry braced himself for whoever was to enter next.

"You're not alone," Dumbledore pointed out, his tone confused for that brief second, astonished, to say the least. "There are others. How?"

"The vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement," Draco answered. "I've been mending it."

"Let me guess. It has a sister, a twin?"

"In Borgin and Burkes. They form a passage," Draco shakily says.

"Ingenious," Dumbledore praised again. "Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices," he tells him softly. "Please let me help you—"

"I don't want your help!"

"Not even Miss Potter's?"

"I said leave her out of this!" Draco yelled, his voice's vibrations shook the metal from where Harry stood. "Don't you understand? I have to do this. It has to be me," Draco's voice falters, he was choking. "I have to kill you, or he's going to kill me and everyone else."

More heavy footsteps followed. Harry had himself pressed against a pillar from under the metal stairs, though he wanted to learn more, he can't have his questions answered when they find him.

"Look at what we have here," Bellatrix's astonished voice spoke in a proud tone. "Well done, Draco."

"Good evening, Bellatrix," Dumbledore greeted. "I think introductions are in order, don't you?"

"Love to, Albus, but I'm afraid we're all on a bit of a tight schedule," Bellatrix answered smoothly without an ounce of empathy. "Do it," she orders her nephew with a pointed and crazed look.

"He doesn't have a stomach, just like his father," one of the death eaters scoffed. "Let me finish him in my way."

"No!" Bellatrix scolded, "the dark lord was clear, the boy has to do it," she glares at the death eaters before turning to Draco once more who looked more hesitant than she would've expected. "This is your moment. Do it."

'I don't want to.' Draco thought as he stared at the headmaster who gave him a pitied look.

"Go on, Draco. Now!" Bellatrix urges him further.

"No." Severus appeared, his demeanor neutral as he walked up the steps.

"Severus," Dumbledore called out. The death eaters fell silent as they watched the dark-cloaked man's every move, from the way he glanced at Dumbledore, to the hesitance on his face. "Please."