Ear pain

A/N this request was made by An Overtired Guest who wants a story about Dolores having a ear infection

I'm not a doctor so all my knowledge comes from Google. Also ear infection while happing in both adults and children are more common in kids, so have some kid!Dolores angst.

I also headcanon that the Madrigals, or most of them, are disabled or have some type of disability. :)

I don't have synesthesia by the way.

————————————————————
Julieta Madrigal can heal anyone of anything. Kind of. Sicknesses, broken bones, pain, allergies, the list goes on. It would be much easier to explain what she can't heal.

Things that Julieta Madrigal can't heal:
Disabilities
Herself
The dead
Animals
Symptoms that are caused by magic

While she can get rid of illness, she can git rid of an illness if it's very powerful. Influenza, for example, she can only help the body fight off the illness. But if the villagers combine Julieta's healing food with the right vaccine they can be good as new. As for symptoms that are caused by magic, that is base off her family.

Bruno gets chronic migraine and Luisa has chronic pain? She can't get of their pain but she can lessen it. Pepa has epilepsy and her body jerks and shakes? She can't get rid of her sister's epilepsy, as mush as she wants to, she can only help make the symptoms lessen or not that painful. Pepa's burns from her accidentally lightning herself? She can definitely get rid of the burns but it will scar. If they flare up she can only help with that. Same with scars.

In sort, the family are the only one that don't have the same benefits of Julieta's healing then the town. Which suck. A lot.

Today is one of those day we're Dolores wishes her Tia's healing can help her. She's in pain. All day her ears have been hurting, nothing new, but her left ear has been more irritating then the right. Now Dolores is only 10, but she's a very brave little girl, and brave little girl have to power through the pain and so there neat for the community and for the family. It's her job.

But how can she do her job of listening of her ears hurt or bleed? Abuela would get angry at her. She doesn't want that. Dolores try to go to her Tia, maybe if she eat something the pain will go away? As she walks, or try to, her head blurred and she can feel herself wobble. Tugging at the irritated ear helps relive the pain. She shivers, when did it get so cold?

"Tia? Tiiiiia? Hello? We're are you?"'she call once she finally in the kitchen. Her aunt isn't there. She must be outside. Nooooo I don't wanna go. Dolores wines to herself. Her brain feels heavy and cotton and her thoughts seem.....childish. "Casita? Can you get Tia? I'm tired, I'm gonna lay down.." she lays down on the cool tiles. She feels hot and cold and really, really tired.

"I'm just gonna rest my eye..."' she falls asleep.

————————————————————
"Lola? Lolita? Baby can you hear me?" A voice call. Dolores let's out a mumble, turning around to face the ground. "Baby, it's Mama, Tia Julieta here to, you have to wake up." She can feel her mom's hand on her shoulder, shaking her. Dolores wiggle out of her moms grasp and kick at her mom (the kick isn't powerful nor does it actually hit Pepa but it definitely concerns her, Dolores never try hitting her even when she's asleep.)

"Go away. I'm sleepy." Dolores whined, swatting at her mother once again. She felt herself being lift off the floor and onto her mother. Her mom has certain smells and sounds.

Her mom sounds like rain and smells like the sun. When she speaks colors of yellow, cadmium, and orange,  can be seen in the air. Like blobs of paint that hover and wiggle before fading away. Well, only to her apparently. She associate her Tio Bruno with the sound of falling sand and her smells like coffee and chocolate and the forest. He speaks in the color reseda and phthalo green. Her Tia smells like bake goods and sounds like the color cyan and mint julep.

She can still hear and see colors and sounds, but now they seems all jumbled. Colors screech and halt like a broken scratch record. Smells taste bitter and sour. Smells, well smell bad. Whatever her ear pain is doing to her she doesn't like it. She lets out a whine and rest her head into her mom's shoulder. Her can feel a light rain on her, making her whine more, the rain hurts her skin, normal it calms her.

"Here Pep, you're raining. I think it's irritating Dolly." Her Tia says, gently taking her. Her mom's cloud rumbles. "Oh, right. Sorry, sorry, sorry. Clear skies, clear skies, clear skies." Her mom rambles.

Her Tia takes her and puts her on the kitchen counter table. Her Tia lift her head and feels her head, humming and looking concerned. She moves and twist her head. "Which ear hurt Do,?"
She lints to her left. Her Tia winches. She grabs some towels and wipes her ear. "Looks like an ear infection, I'm not a licensed doctor, we have to go to the retired one, Doctor Oscar Jr. he'll know. But it seems like there either pus or fluid in her ear."

"WHAT?" She mother yells, a crack of lighting hit the floor. Tia Julieta glares at her mom. "Pep, you have to calm down, your lighting might cause her ear to hurts."

"I can't hear it, it's muffle in my hurt ear, Tia."  Her said, actually yelling. Her Tia nodded then grab her, putting her on her hips. "Let's go to Doctor Oscar jr. Ok sweetie? Then we can get some snacks! Sound good?"

"Ok!"

————————————————————
Julieta was right it is an ear infection. Runny nose, fever, irritation, the whining and being fussy, the off balance. All the symptoms of infection. The reason Dolores was in pain is because bacteria got into the back of her eardrum, which caused pus which press onto her eardrum. Thankfully all Dolores need is some antibiotics, ear drop, and some of Julieta's healing food. But Julieta and Pepa do have to watch out if the symptoms get worse, the ear infection could become chronic, could cause hearing loss, tear eardrum, or can spread.

The pain will go way in 2-3 days minimum, at max it could be 6 weeks.

So after the doctor's Julieta bought Dolores some chocolate. One the two were back home, Dolores got a bath to help with her fever and she was sent to bed. After taking the medicine Pepa sat with her, reading to her and playing with her hair until Dolores fell asleep. Once Dolores was asleep Pepa creep out of the room, heading back to the kitchen.

"How is she?"

"Good, she's asleep. I feel terrible thought."

"Why?"

"She's in pain! And her gift is enchanted hearing, of a normal ear infant hurts a normal child, how much pain is Dolores in to not be able to hear?" Pepa cry, a cloud form above her, lightly rumbling and threatening to rain. Julieta stop kneading the dough that she was working on. And wen to hug her sister.

"It's going to be alright Pep, Dolores is a strong girl. We have the medicine and my healing food. We just to watch her. And hey, we can do fun activities to keep her entertained. Bruno can tell her his's stories, you can play a puzzle with her, Felix can play dolls. We got this ok?"

Light rain, not enough to soak them, feel onto the two women. Pepa let out a soft sob, scared for her eldest baby. She let out another sob, now crying into her sisters shoulders. All the emotions she been building up left her. Once Pepa was done crying she let Julieta go.

"Oh god your dress!"

Julieta roll her eyes playfuly, "it's fine Pep, it's just rain and tears. Do you want to help me bake while Lolita sleeps?" Her sister nod and grab a rolling pin. "Pep, I'm kneading the dough not rolling it."

"Oh, sorry!"

————————————————————
A week later and Dolores was better. Her ear wasn't hurting and she could hear again. The doctor smile and have Dolores a sticker, a dog, and a lollipop.

"Your free to go Dolores. If you have any more ear pain let you mom or Tia know ok?"

"Ok Doctor Oscar! Tank you."

"Haha, your welcome."

The doctor wave Dolores and Pepa goodbye. The two girls went back home, Dolores skipping. Even thought she got her head back and the noise still hurt her, she much rather have that then the ear infection!

"Come on Mom, Tia making Mondongo  soup! We have to get there before Camilo eat it all up!" The little girl whispers-shouts to her mom. Pepa smiled, a rainbow above her.

"Ok, ok, I'm coming."

The two race back to the house, laughing and smiling.