46

:Monday evening

Lisa sat in her car, driving back home after spending long hours at the office. Her back hurt from exhaustion as she fought hard to keep her eyes open. She was driving, closing her eyes, or falling asleep would be her death.

Knowing how the roads of New York were, Lisa chose to follow another route home. One with fewer traffic jams and sounds of frustrated drivers honking.

Though the new route she found had a farther distance from her house, Lisa felt a stray kitten that just got run over by a truck and knew that waiting in a traffic-jammed road would definitely take much longer so she stuck with her choice.

She was in desperate need of her bed and wasn't in the mood to wait for people to move their stupid cars. Right now she was more than capable of biting whoever tried to stop her from getting home on time.

While driving on the new route she had chosen, Lisa noticed how lonely the road had become. She barely saw any vehicles, making her car the only one on the entire deserted road.

The street felt eerie with not a single soul on it but Lisa, who felt a little creeped out by the loneliness of the place but still kept driving. She had to, she was too tired and badly needed to get home.

Then after driving the same road for a few more minutes, Lisa sighted a vehicle up ahead and heaved a sigh of relief and felt a little less tensed about driving on a deserted road at night.

Still minding her own business, Lisa kept driving until she saw the vehicle in front of hers stop and a man came out of it, stood in the middle of the road while waving his hands in the air, signaling her to stop as well.

She noticed what the man was doing and frowned, the thought of just running him over and going on her merry way crossed her mind but she quickly pushed it aside.

She reached where the man stood and stopped her car, ignoring the little argument the angel and demon on her shoulders were having about whether she should just smash the guy and go or not.

Her grip on her steering wheel tightened in frustration, wondering what the man on the road wanted from her at such a late hour and missed what the man did next

How the man stopped waving his hands and reached into his back pocket as though he wanted to pull something out of it, keeping his hand in that position as he walked closer to Lisa's driver's seat window and pulled out a gun, pointing it directly at her.

On seeing the gun, Lisa's  face paled and became as white as paper, with all the color draining from it. Her pulse throbbed in her temples and her heart drummed hard in her chest. Her eyes darted from the man's face to the gun in his hand as she choked down a sob, still visibly trembling on her seat.

It wasn't the first time she had seen a gun but it was the first time it had ever been pointed at her.

Lisa's  hands tightened on the steering wheel and her eyes never left the gunman in front of her.

She flinched when she saw the man's finger move to the trigger and franticly began shaking her head, her eyes pleading the man not to pull it.

"No, please don't. Please don't kill me. If it is money you want, then fine. I have a lot of it in my purse, please don't pull the trigger." Lisa begged, her lips trembling violently with every word that left it. Her breathing was uneven and harsh.