16

The night of the party was finally here and also the last day of the year. It was 9:00 pm, just a few hours to the new year, the first of January which also happens to be Kristina's birthday.

It was like killing two birds with one stone, Regina always got the whole family together at this time every year to celebrate the new year and also Kristina's birthday at the same time.

As everyone who knew the Bruschweiler family was aware that throwing lavish parties had always been Regina's specialty and this one wasn't any less grand than the ones she had thrown in the past.

The large living room of the house was elegantly decorated, making it look like a fancy ballroom and the breathtakingly lit chandeliers looked dazzling. The table was set and low music played in the background.

Different cars made their way into the estate as guests wearing masks were being ushered into the mansion which was now made to look like a castle.

Everything looked extremely wonderful as Lisa walked hand in hand with Liam her cousin from her mother side amanda, talking and laughing. Then Lisa saw Regina approaching them from a distance and stopped to wait for her.

Though it was a masquerade ball, Lisa could still recognize her stepmother coming from a mile away. There was just something in the way Regina walked that dripped with elegance and grace.

Regina also had an aura that screamed power, light blue eyes that commanded respect, and a flawless figure that could make kings renounce their thrones.

And after being raised in a family that treated her more like an ornament than a person, Regina learned to stand on her own and made people who tried to belittle her in the past bow before her feet. All in all, Regina looked like the prettiest flower in the forest but also could be a poisonous desert cactus.

"Lisa darling, you look stunning." Regina squealed as she approached her stepdaughter and hugged her tightly. She then released Lisa from her bone-crushing hug and stepped back a little to admire Lisa's dress even more." So beautiful," Regina added.

"So do you. Mother, you look amazing." Lisa complimented with a smile and kissed Regina on the cheek.

"Thank you, baby, wait! What is he doing here?" Regina asked, pointing at Liam with a frown on her beautiful face.

"Ah Regina, it's pleasant to see you too. Honestly, you need to start smiling more because frowning doesn't suit you. It's only going to cause wrinkles on your flawless skin." Liam said with a charming yet teasing smile and Lisa couldn't help giggling at her cousin's words.

"You know it's always a pleasure to see a graceful woman such as yourself, Regina." He added, spellbinding her with his charms like he always does.

"No offense if I don't feel the same." Regina retorted, making it look like she was angered by his presence when the truth stands that she was kinda fond of him.

Well, who wouldn't be? Liam was nice, easy to talk to, and also a self-made billionaire. Plus he had never given her a reason to dislike him before, if not she wouldn't have allowed her beloved daughters to associate themselves with the likes of him.

"None taken. By the way, you look ravishing." He gave her a charming smile which she rolled her eyes at, she rolled them so hard that he could see it even though she wore a mask.

But despite Regina's rough behavior towards him, everyone knew she was charmed by his polite gestures towards her but Regina being the woman that she was, rather be petty than admit that she was impressed by him.