047 - 'Do You Love Derek?'

Cody's POV

At last.

I have finally done for the week and finally at my leisure. That means I can get myself drunk for the night.

"Here's your drink, sir." The bartender push a tiny glass filled with yellow substance in front of me with a smile which then I happily replied with a thank you.

That's one of the reason why I love going to VeHx. Other than feeling safe getting drunk alone, I totally love how they treat everyone here.

Even if I ordered the cheapest drink, they serve me indifferently. Unlike other clubs I went on my normal days to just have couple beers, they always have either glare or disgust plastered on their face.

It seems they judge our wallet based on our drink. Please, let people live their life.

I grab my glass and bottoms up. Grimace spread to my face as the cold liquid slowly trickling down my esophagus, burning the walls on its way and into my stomach.

Now is 9.56 pm.

I came right to VeHx after meeting Alice. She canceled our meetup yesterday because something urgent came up and insist on proceeding the plan today. I resist no more.

"So you're saying that..."

"Yeah," Playing the remaining food with my fork, "I'm not in contact with Derek anymore."

It was suppose to be a relaxing dinner, catching up with our lives and it is, at first. It's when the topic about Derek came up that it became solemn.

"Are you sure it's not because he's busy? I heard he launched a new project recently. Maybe he's caught up with his work."

"I kept convincing myself that he's currently occupied in his business."

"But?" she said then sipping on her bloody red wine with grace, wiping the edge of her lips soon after.

"Alice, it's been almost a month. We didn't greet each other virtually or physically. Unless you count saluting your boss then at least twice of our interaction and that's just it."

"That's not an interaction."

"So then nothing. That's what I said, I'm no one to him now. Simply put, we're not friends. He's just... my boss."

I took a sip of my own wine when she ask, "Isn't that what you want? For him to leave you alone."

Slowly placing the fancy glass wine back to its place, I think to myself.

It is, yes. I wish for him to ignore me because all I want is completing my internship at Crowdest. I want nothing but to silently pass as an intern and graduate school.

The problem is, it's a wish four months ago and if that wish came true back then, I wouldn't hurt- no.

If it did, I will also suffer from his cruelty. No way avoiding him either way. It's a mess from the moment I started applying there.

If only I sign up for another company...

The thoughts of 'ifs' bundled up again in my head, like it always do when I'm alone at my apartment. I feel like my head is about to explode.