Cat Adoption is easy... or not (p1)

a/n: heyyy i'm back after so long. anyways, i wanted to try out some genderqueer chapters so why not?

Genderqueer!Adrien

Adrien adopts a feral cat, believing that he knows exactly how to take care of one because of his position as the holder of the Black Cat Miraculous. And perhaps his family even owned a cat in the past, which the staff normally took care of. It's easy, right? Adrien just has to feed and water it, and let it outside to do its business!

No. It's really not.

Strays and shelter cats aren't the same as hand-raised, pedigree kittens, and Adrien isn't prepared to deal with even one of those. And to make things worse, Adrien hasn't even adopted a stray cat.

It's a feral cat. And the only reason he was able to catch it in the first place was because it had a limp on one of its front legs, and wasn't as quick as the black cat Adrien had actually been aiming for at diving away to safety. This one isn't't as cool as a black cat, but it's still cool, because it's Adrien's cat! That automatically makes it cool. He still wishes he could have caught the black one though.

This cat is skinny, with long fur that's mostly white, with some scattered patches of black and orange across its back and sides, an orange patch on one ear, and yellow eyes.

It would have been cooler if it had green eyes like him and Plagg, but he'll take what he can get.

He names it Sidekick.

If he'd caught the black cat, he would have named it Chat Jr. But beggars can't be choosers, and he hasn't seen that black cat since, so there's no chance of switching them out.

Sidekick (who he at least remembers to put a collar on) keeps returning from the grounds when he lets it outside with dead birds and mice, sometimes even presenting it to Adrien on his bed! One time he even started putting his shoes on only to discover it had dropped a mouse head in his shoe!

And things keep getting worse. For some reason, the cat can't seem to groom itself properly, and its fur is matted together in large clumps along its back and sides, which means it's not even fun to pet it, because the rest of its fur is soft, but the mats are weird and gross. And what fur isn't hopelessly matted together sheds all over his clothes and his bed.

Adrien doesn't know how, and doesn't want to clean a litterbox for it, so he ordered one of the self-cleaning ones online. It's huge, and expensive, and looks nice and futuristic and streamlined, and unfortunately for Sidekick and Adrien...the cat is terrified of it. It was all going so well until the thing turned on while the cat was still inside, and the loud noises and sudden movement scared it half to death. And now Sidekick won't go anywhere near it.

And since Adrien only bought one litterbox despite his bedroom being as large as a house, because he didn't bother to do any research before deciding he wanted a cat, that leaves plenty more spaces for the cat to pick from as a bathroom. No one told Adrien that you're supposed to have multiple litter boxes per cat, because he didn't ask anyone.

One of the corners of his library quickly becomes inaccessible and disgusting, because Sidekick has decided that the corner between two bookshelves and the wall is now a bathroom. All the books and games and DVDs on the lowest shelves are now ruined, and have to be thrown in the trash. And the same goes for by his window, and on the balcony, and at the base of his rock-climbing wall.

And Adrien has to clean it all up himself, because no one can know he has the cat. He orders everything online himself, and has them air-dropped directly through his window with delivery drones. His father never bothers to keep track of Adrien's credit cards, and never goes near a window long enough to even look up, let alone have a chance to spot a delivery drone with a package.