MISTELTOE

Snow was falling, carols were sung on the streets. It was Christmas Eve, and Nathalie was helping Adrien who was decorating the Christmas tree in the foyer. Somehow, Adrien convinced Nathalie to wear a Christmas jumper and Santa hat, instead of her usual turtle-neck top and blazer. She wasn't too keen on it at first, but Adrien seemed intent on it that she couldn't say no.

Nathalie just finished decorating a section when she glanced over at the young blonde; he looked so happy and cheerful for once. She was pleased, and let a small smile lay on her lips, for just a moment. She moved up the stairs, to get to another section of the monster of a tree while Gorilla took Adrien onto his shoulders so he could reach further up.

Nathalie sighed, the atmosphere was pleasant, sure, but there was one person missing. The king of fashion, the man of the house, the Gabriel Agreste, the father of the blonde boy who always seemed to be locked in a golden cage. Putting the thought aside, she leaned over the barrier to get a red, glass, heart-shaped ornament onto the tree.

As she did so, she leaned a little too far, almost falling over the barrier but 2 hands seemed to be wrapped protectively around her. "Nathalie!" A low, worried and shocked, male voice said and she knew all too well who it was. "I'm fine sir, thank you," she replied to a question she knew he would ask. She stood beside him, holding the ornament in one hand while the other smoothed out her jumper. "Please be more careful next time, Nathalie," he said, in his usual cold, monotone, voice. She nodded as a reply and leaned forward again, but not so far, to hand the glass heart.

She was so close, yet not close enough. She knew if she leaned out any further there would be a repeat of earlier; although she was annoyed she never let it show. She then noticed that Gabriel held out his hand, he wanted the ornament. She handed it to him in defeat, her Nathalie Sancoeur beaten by a Christmas tree. Terrific! She thought.

Just as he took the ornament from her, she noticed it. Instead of his usual blazer and vest jumper, Adrien got him to wear a Christmas jumper, and not just any Christmas jumper; it was one that she helped him make. She allowed herself another little smile, hidden behind her palm, behind his back.

Gabriel leaned forward to hang the ornament on the tree, it wasn't hard for him to hang it, he was taller so his arms were longer. He got it on there with ease, which kind of bothered her. Her boss then turned to her as if seeking approval to which she nodded and he seemed content with that.

They both walked down the stairs to Adrien and Gorilla, who just put the boy down as they finished decorating. Gorilla and Adrien both wore reindeer headbands but Gorilla was wearing a red nose as well. Although he didn't show it, he was certainly happy. Gabriel dismissed him from work, that lucky guy got a vacation for the week while Nathalie was drowning in work even today.

This whole day Adrien tried to stop her from doing work, or make things Christmassy in her day. She didn't really mind, she really liked Adrien and wanted to make him happy, but her work was being delayed and began piling up more and more, over the course of the day.

The boy walked up to his father and Nathalie smiling. "Hello father, do you..." he stumbled unsure if he should ask, "Do you, like your jumper?" Nathalie glanced over at her boss without moving her head, also wondering the same thing. "Yes, Adrien. It's quite comfortable, thank you," he replied with a hint of a smile, which took both of them off guard. Gabriel Agreste, one of the most heartless people in Paris, maybe the world, was actually smiling. Nathalie and Adrien looked at him, then at each other, then back at him again. This was real.

There was still a while before the chef finished the dinner so Nathalie decided to work on her tablet for a bit, unsurprisingly. She sat in an armchair in the mansions living room, with Gabriel reading a book on an armchair in front of her. From what Nathalie knew, Adrien said he had to finish off some of his presents before dinner so she thought he was in his room (when he was actually going to Ladybug to give her, her Christmas present as Chat Noir.)