DAY OF BASTILLE

Bastille Day (previously titled as "Schrödinger's Cat")

France, 1799

Liberté

The sky was clear of clouds, an expanse of blue over the French country. If one would look up, they would think it a fine day for a picnic. Yet it was not so.

Egalité

The pure white cloth fluttered with the wind. Only the bayonet of a bloodstained silver-plated musket prevented it from flying away. The eerie silence of people filled the air. Not a soul stirred in the streets of Paris. Nobles and commoners slept side by side.

Fraternité

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted." An oath is said and performed under the glint of the moonlight on the dark liquid running through the streets. The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. But at what cost?

...

France, Present Day

The white butterflies were anxious. Hawkmoth looked around suspiciously. He could sense no one in the observatory. Suddenly, the lair's window opened, causing the light to stream down on the floor. Hawmoth gripped his staff tightly. There was no negative emotion at present. So why did it open?

There was a flutter of wings and then a lone butterfly settled on his palm.

"Well this place gives off certain memories."

Hawkmoth brandished his staff before him, looking around. "Who are you?"

A dark figure stepped out of the shadows. They smile.

"Good morning, Papillion. How would you like to make a trade?"

...

BOOM!

Adrien fell off his bed with a surprised yell. With a groan, and the accompaniment of his kwami's snide snickers, he stood up and looked out the window. The parade was starting with the release of cannons and he was late. Adrien was rarely late, but blame it on his kwami for hitting the snooze button a millisecond after the alarm.

"C'mon Plagg!" Adrien grabbed Plagg's tail and ran out of the room. "I promised Nino we'd meet at 10.00 and now it's 9.50!"

Plagg quickly hid under his charge's jacket. He said, "Can't we just skip that and go back to sleep?"

"What are you talking about?" Adrien pushed the gates and ran out the streets. "Today's the only day I get to be free from any work and from anyone! It's a holiday! Bastille Day!"

"Yeah, that proves my point." Plagg grumbled.

Adrien slowed as the bakery came in sight. He frowned at his kwami. "I thought you'd be more enthusiastic."

"Oh I am. Since it's a holiday we should be sleeping." Plagg pointed out with strong emphasis on the word 'sleeping'.

"Are you sure you want to go back?" Adrien gave him a teasing grin. "Marinette's bakery makes the best quiches. They probably have camembert too."

"What are you waiting for? Hurry up!"

The boy laughed and jogged the last few meters to the bakery.

As he reached the front door, Nino hollered from above Marinette's balcony. Adrien waved at him. Seconds later, the door flung open with an over-enthusiastic Marinette.

"A-Adrien! Y-You're just in time!" Marinette said with that particular goofy smile on her face. He was used to it. Maybe that was a smile meant just for him.