Chapter 33 - Infatuation

Start from the beginning

"A good conversation can do that to ya," I said," Anyway, we did go through roughly all the things we were supposed to in this session so I guess it's ok. For how long have you guys been listening?"

"A few minutes," Fuutarou said, "At any case, I should probably get going."

"Same for me," I said as I began to pack my things, "Miku, I expect to see you tomorrow morning."

"Ughhhhhhhhh..." she faceplanted onto one of the couch's pillows.

"And to the rest of you, I'll see you at school."

We left the apartment, and as usual, Nino accompanied the two of us to the ground floor.

"I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but you're acting a bit off today, Y/N-kun," Fuutarou said, "Knowing you, you would have stayed up there talking to Itsuki. Don't you love to talk about that sort of stuff?"

Tsk. I thought the same thing. I could feel the weight of Nino's gaze on me as I replied.

"Yeah. I guess it's just one of those days, you know? I've been feeling tired since morning."

"I see. I'm not exactly in a position to say this, but make sure you're getting enough sleep. Anyway, I'll see you two tomorrow."

And with that, Fuutarou left the two of us alone just outside the entrance of the building, and just as soon as he got out of my field of vision, I sat on the floor, leaning on one of the columns. Nino soon took a seat by my side, looking at me wearily.

"What do we do?" I asked, not really expecting an answer.

"...We don't really have to do anything," she reassured me, "This isn't your problem. It's theirs."

"It became my problem as soon as I found out about it."

"You're already solving a ton of problems for other people both academic and not. Leave their love lives for themselves to solve."

I sighed, lowering my head slightly as my mind kept racing.

"I would gladly do that. But this is one of those problems where I just can't remain neutral. I have to take a side."

"You don't," she said assertively, placing her hand over mine, "Whatever happens, happens. If any of them question you, just say you didn't want to take any sides. I'll be there to back you up."

"You don't need to get involved in this."

"That won't stop me."

"Hah. I know it won't."

We both stayed silent for a few moments, feeling the winter breeze as her warm hand gently caressed mine.

"What do you wanna do then?" she said, "Who do you wanna help?"

"I don't know... I guess Miku since I'm already helping her. Perhaps it will be easier to justify things."

"Then keep helping her. If Uesugi confronts you, just tell him you didn't know."

"He'd know I'd be lying."

"Then tell him you didn't want to break Miku's trust."

"...Do you think Miku has a chance with him?" I asked.

"Honestly?... No. Not with him. I don't think anyone has a chance with him."

"Other than Yotsuba."

"Remember, we still don't know if Yotsuba even remembers him. Just calm down, ok? You don't need to worry about this."

She leaned her head on my shoulder.