Chapter 3

After a month at school, Byulyi has already made friends. And it surprised her to meet her middle school classmate, Choi Junghoon.

"I was asked to apply for the scholarship here even before graduation, so I took the chance."

Both of them were fortunate enough to be "recruited" from their previous school. While his opportunity came early, she was scouted late.

Junghoon smiles as the beam of sunset hits his face. They are at the rooftop of the highest school building, overlooking the almost empty field. It is late in the afternoon, and most of the students have started their evening classes.

"I hope you concentrate with school since I will too." Junghoon said.

"Yeah. I guess we need to do our best to stay here."

"You always do your best."

Byulyi has always dedicated her life living it to the fullest not just for herself but for her grandpa who committed to care of her since the beginning. When he said that her happiness is his priorities, she took it to heart once she understood its meaning.

"I'm sorry, I left. I know you understand that, but I hope you still remember my promise."

She is taken aback by his sudden remarks. It is as if he took her back to the day he said goodbye.

"There are some things I need to prioritize. I can't be selfish and ask you to wait for me. I can only pray that we find each others way again someday. Like what I have promised, I am telling you my real intentions. Byul-ah, I truly like you."

Junghoon is mature for his age and far more open-minded, that when he appeared before her, she knew he was serious about liking her. It was cute and cringey and heartwarming at the same time. Aside from her grandpa, nobody has really liked Byulyi that when he confessed, she thought it was a prank...

'Our adorable infatuation.' Right?

...a prank that went so hard, she could not forget his face when he stood outside her door to brazenly ask her grandpa to allow Byulyi for a date after days of failed convincing. But the decisions were still by Byulyi, and she refused, thinking he is seeing his mother on her.

_____

Junghoon is popular, in and out of school, because of his good looks paired with pleasant and humble personality, the boy has always bore the nice guy description. A band guy who has this mysterious persona with a shy smile and cute, droopy eyes, he is easily the most liked boy in their town.

'How could you choose me over the girls around you? Because you are joking.'

With all those confusion in her head, questioning the ability of a guy to like someone as unattractive as her, it finally happened.

"Junghoon, take care of your mother. Don't worry about how I will feel with you leaving. At least, I get to feel being liked by someone I like too." Those were the words she failed to tell him.

And now...everything has changed.

...

"You know how I do things. When I want to get something, I will do everything to achieve it. And I can't afford distractions. I hope you understand that too." Byulyi said.

That was when realization hit her... Junghoon's expression fell into the dark pit of love sickness. Byulyi could feel her heart hurt not just a little.

'Did I break his heart? Or did I break my own heart?'