(8)Valentines

It's valentines day, of course. The day that makes every person without a partner depressed including me. I'm not saying I'm lonely, I've had lovers but they never last through to February of course. 

On top of me hating this day every year, I have to work today, with stupid children and stuff couples are going to be at the pizza plex. It's fine, at least I get to be with the Dj, if he asks about me working today I'll just have to play it off like I have plans after work and it should be fine. 

I get to work on time, having to work a day shift sadly. I make my way through the plex, getting to the dancefloor to see Djmm talking to a man. He seems happy, I can't hear their conversation but I can see a blush on the man's face. I don't know why but I feel my chest tighten and that stupid sensation you get telling you you're about to cry. This is stupid, why am I sad that the Dj is talking to some random dude? It's not my business anyways. 

I eventually make my way into the room, sitting on the edge of the stage mainly out of view from the Dj and everyone else in the room. I kind of block out all the noises around me, not wanting to hear Djmm assumingly flirt with the random guy. 

Why is he talking to him anyways? His job isn't to talk to the parents, at most he's supposed to talk to the kids, which he rarely does. Why do I even care if he is talking to people? I shouldn't. 

I don't even notice how quickly time passes and by now it's been a few hours. And the Dj hasn't even acknowledged me today. This is stupid, why do I expect him to notice me? My job is to make sure he doesn't break down, nothing more. 

I finally notice the man he was talking to leave with a kid and I decide to take the opportunity to talk to him. I get off of the stage walking around to the front of it. "Dj, how are you?" I ask just loud enough for him to hear over the music he's playing. 

His attention turns to me, seeming surprised, "Pumpkin? I didn't know you were working today, how long have you been here?" He asks ignoring my question. 

"A few hours, I've just been waiting for you to stop talking to pretty boy," I answer, my mistake being letting my jealous show. 

"Aw pumpkin you're jealous aren't you?" He asks laughing. 

"No! I was just bored you were talking for hours," I huff crossing my arms. 

"You didn't ask for valentines off? Don't you have someone to be with?" He asks teasingly, obviously trying to make me upset. 

"I didn't ask for it off but I do have a date after work, which isn't your business anyways."

"Then why do you seem so upset?" 

"Because I have no one to talk to at work."

"So who is your date with then?"

I have to stop and think of an answer, I hadn't really thought that he would ask that. He doesn't know anyone I hang out with outside of work so he can't really prove me wrong if I give him a random name but I also can't give details of the person if they are nonexistent. 

"What's taking you so long to answer?" He asks. 

"I-i was debating on if I should tell you or not, I don't want you to be jealous," I say cursing myself for stuttering.