Chapter 6: Here'syourfoodIhavetogo

Vaughn Miguel

"You cannot keep interrupting when I bring home a woman!" Narinig kong sigaw ni Ate Carmel mula sa sala.

"Hindi ako nag-interrupt, okay? I just told them that you're the love of my life and I am the love of your life, you just haven't realized it yet." Confident na sagot ni Kuya B.

"My god, Beauxdeaustreuz!" I can sense the frustration in her tone, and by the way, she's the only one who can pronounce his name without stuttering.

"You know what? It's already one in the morning and you've had drinks. We can have a midnight snack, and then you can yell at me again, giliw ko."

"Giliw ko?" Ngingisi-ngising bulong ko. Kuya B can be really corny.

"Ugh! Just go back to America, already!"

"Ouch, that's kind of racist." His tone was sarcastic.

"Oh, my god. That is not racist–—you know what, nevermind. You are insufferable. Magre-rent ako ng hotel at doon ko dadalhin ang mga babae ko!"

"Well, I guess, we're both going to the hotel then—"

I just shook my head bago ko inabot ang aking headphones sa bedside table. Nang maisuot ko iyon ay hindi ko na sila narinig pa. Tuluyan nang nawala ang mga boses nila nang makapag-play ako ng jazz music. I sighed and dropped my phone beside me.

After Ate Vlanca left for Guam, I ditched my penthouse and started living here in the apartment, alone. Subalit hindi iyon nagtagal dahil after noong family reunion ay na-assign dito sa Pilipinas si Ate Carmel. She asked me if it's okay, kung split kami ng renta. Of course I said yes, because I have another room available and any members of my family are more than welcome to stay with me.

And then a few days later, nalaman ko na hindi na bumalik ng Guam si Kuya B, dahil sobrang na-impress sa kanya ang Chief ng GSMH noong nag-perform siya ng bypass ata. They offered him a place in the cardio residency program. He accepted it and then moved to the apartment next door dahil daw "malapit ang apartment building na ito sa ospital."

I put qoutation marks dahil halata naman na dito niya napiling tumira dahil patay na patay siya kay Ate Carmel. I don't know what's the score between them. Ang alam ko lang ay tuwing maga-attempt na mag-uwi dito ng either babae o lalaki si Ate Carmel ay nakaabang na si pinto si Kuya B, and that he is also proud and shameless about professing his love for Ate Carmel.

So, with all that in mind, wala talaga akong masyadong maituturing na peaceful night sa bahay na ito, dahil madalas silang nagbabangayan.

Day, night, even midnight.

"How can I get rid of the evil woman?" Bulong ko sa sarili ko habang nagpe-play ng trumpet si Louis Armstrong sa aking headphones. My need to get rid of that woman is stronger not only because I hate her, but also because I have an unwanted physical attraction for her.

I don't really fall asleep that much...but lately, because of Kamila, my sleep cycle has become even worse. I can't fall asleep because I am frustrated. I can't come up with ways to get rid of her....and no, I am not talking about killing or violence.

I just need to figure out a way to get her out of the house. But unfortunately for the past couple of days, wala talaga akong maisip na ideyang magagawa ko. Ang mga naiisip ko lang na paraan ay delikado para sa akin.

I sighed heavily.

The morning came and I got ready early. Nakalabas na ako ng apartment bago pa magsimula ang bangayan nila Ate Carmel. Ngayong araw ay naka-simpleng polo shirt, royal blue slacks, at brown na boat shoes lamang ako. Kakagaling ko lang sa Jesse's dahil obviously, I have to buy food for my prisoner.