Chapter 30 - Change in Character

Start from the beginning

"Who doesn't? In any case, she wants some tips from me and Nino."

"Yeah, and it's quite personal so we'd appreciate it if you didn't go around spreading the information," Nino said, "Here, let me call your ride home."

"I see. Thank you Nino. I really appreciate this."

"No problem."

After some three minutes of small talk and waiting, the car arrived. Fuutarou bid us farewell and entered the vehicle. Nino and I walked back to the lobby of the building, sitting down on a nearby couch.

"What the fuck were you doing?!" her tone shifted completely.

"Chill. I know him for much longer than you do. Dude's denser than osmium."

"Still, why didn't you invent something else to say to him? Now he's more likely to find out."

"The best lies have a little bit of truth in them. Don't worry. If anything, he's even less likely to find out about it now."

"Tsk. Whatever you monkey logic says. I can't get mad with you for too long anyway."

"Good, good," I patted her on the head, "Though I gotta say, I'm pretty surprised with your reaction there."

"What do you mean?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but you from the past would probably have immolated Fuutarou if she knew her sister was into him."

"People change, you know?" she smiled, "It's just that... I don't want to deprive Miku of something that might make her happy. I know that I wouldn't like it if any of them tried to boycott my relationship with you."

I caressed her hand as she huddled closer to me on the couch.

"What can I say? I'm glad you got that change of heart."

"Hehehe..." she laid her head on my shoulder.

"However I'm guessing you still have a few questions about her situation."

"I do, actually. How long has this been going for? Like, when did she first come to you about Fuutarou."

"On the night of our confession."

"And you've been helping her since then?"

"A little bit of advice here and there. She isn't preparing to confess or anything. It's mostly indirect stuff. But she is, for example, taking some steps in trying to become more... attractive, for the lack of a better word."

"Some pretty literal steps since she's even running with you and all. That explains why she came asking for fashion tips from me earlier today."

I chuckled, "Say whatever you want about her, but when she puts her mind into it, I'm pretty sure she can achieve anything. And the same goes for the rest of you."

"Ha. Thanks, dad."

"Why dad? For real, look at what a little bit of studying did to your grades. With the right mindset, I know for sure you five will become unstoppable."

"Staawp. You're just saying this to please me."

"That's just a happy side effect. That doesn't mean it's not true," I booped her on the nose, "I really should be going home now before it gets too dark, ok?"

"Aww... okay."

"Don't make that face," I kissed her, "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"You'd better. Text me when you get home, kay?"

...

It was now the next day, and today I would see the most positively (?) bizarre thing ever since having quintuplets enter this school. The bell rang all across the school, announcing the beginning of lunchtime, Nino and I left the classroom and began to make our way to the cafeteria.