Chapter 68 ~ The Switch (Part Two)

TW: This chapter contains explicit content, violence, gore and graphic details that may be upsetting to some readers

After what could've been anything from a few hours later to a few days later, I finally regained consciousness.

I was weak, I was confused, I was in pain.

I was alone.

"Hello?" I called out faintly, pushing myself to sit up and lean against the wall for support. "Is anyone alive?" I yelled, a little louder this time. "I need blood!"

"What you need," a deep voice chuckled in reply from outside the cell door, "is an exorcist."

I raised a brow, peering through my fuzzy vision. Recognising my visitor's features, I snickered in disbelief. "Really? Of all people to torture me, they sent you?"

"Well, I missed all the fun earlier," Enzo teased. "Now it's my turn." He unbolted the door then stepped inside, no hint of fear radiating from his strong posture. Stopping a safe distance from me, he sat on the floor, pulling his knees up to his chest and resting his arms loosely on top of them.

I smirked, dropping my head when it began to sit too heavy on my neck. "Sorry, buddy, but as I flattered as I am, you aren't my trigger."

Enzo laughed. "I know that, love. Consider me the appetizer."

"What are you gonna do?" I grunted, glaring at the ground. "Drone on about how great your best friend is until I snap?"

"You sound mad at him," Enzo taunted. "Are we getting some emotion already?"

I snorted. "Hardly," I shot back, lifting my head weakly to send him a sarcastic look. "All he did was prove he's untrustworthy, just like I knew he would be."

Enzo shook his head in disapproval. "You're many things, Kayla, but I never deemed you to be ungrateful."

I scoffed. "Sorry, did you expect me to say thank you for drugging me and holding me captive?"

The vamp held back a chuckle. "I meant Kai. He's only doing what needs to be done so we can get you back."

"Took him damn long enough," I hissed. "Where's he been until now? Running away like a coward just because he couldn't handle what I am."

Enzo merely shrugged. "You broke his heart. Love will make you do crazy things, sweetheart. You should know that more than anyone."

Rolling my eyes, I turned my head away. "Gross."

There was a moment of silence before Enzo heaved a sigh, pushing himself to his feet. "So..." He strolled to the corner of the cell, placing his hand on the roll of chains on a hook, keeping me trapped. "Do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?"

"Like I have a choice," I muttered.

Proving my point, Enzo pulled the chains away for a brief moment to swiftly loop them through a new hook in the ceiling. As he tugged on them, my arms slowly began to rise in the air until I was standing on my tip-toes, dangling from my wrists. He yanked harshly on the chains once I was fully stretched.