Chapter 51 ~ The Phone Call

Mikaela's POV

Mikaela's POV

Two Days Ago

The girls left just after lunch, Caroline sticking around a little longer, refusing to take, "I'm fine, honestly," for an answer. But eventually, she allowed me to push her out of the apartment, knowing she had a lot to do today.

Which left me on my own. Again.

Any hopes of Kai returning home - my superhero coming to the rescue like he always did - were short-lived the moment he called me to tell me the plan had failed, which meant he had to stay in Portland longer than anticipated.

It hurt, but I understood. He had to do what needed to be done, no matter how long it was going to take. I just needed to suck it up, put on my big-girl boots and wait for him to come back.

Usually, I wouldn't be so mopey. Usually, I would do things to keep myself occupied; go shopping, see my friends, check out the latest movie in the cinema. But with all of my friends busy, and me being too scared to leave Kai's apartment in case some psychopath was waiting for me the moment I stepped out of safety, I stayed hidden inside.

Mom was gone, Tyler wasn't around, Kai was on the other side of the country. For the first time in a while, I felt well and truly alone.

That didn't mean I was going to stay in bed all day - I was going to be productive, even if I was contained to the walls of the apartment. I painted my nails, cleaned every room from top to bottom all over again, did some yoga. I put on the Prison World playlist for a while, before it became too painful to listen to, images of Kai and I dancing and singing along to the songs flooding my brain until I felt like I was drowning.

I switched it off, connecting my phone to the speaker in the lounge to play some of my own music. This was a lot less intense, my body relaxing as my mood changed to a much happier one. Picking up a bottle of wine, I danced around the apartment, careful not to spill any of the liquid onto the freshly cleaned floors.

Thoughts of what Kai could be up to gradually faded away, replaced with a delighted buzz from the alcohol and upbeat music. He was fine, I was fine. Everything was going to be okay.

Enjoy this time to yourself, Mikaela. You don't get it very often.

At 10 pm I put on a movie - a comedy, careful not to watch anything too romantic in case it sent me over the edge. Once it finished, I put on another, feeling nowhere near tired enough to sleep yet. I crawled into bed at 2 am, running out of distractions. I was still wide awake but maybe if I tried my hardest to allow my mind and body to relax, I would eventually drift off.

With nothing left to take away the aching loneliness, my brain began creating painful scenarios of Kai's time in Portland. At first, it was images of him in agony, battered and bruised, slowly getting murdered by Gemini magic. Next was a scene of him turning into the monster I knew he was capable of becoming again, given the right motivation. Men, women and children combined, all fallen by the merciless power he now held. Because if they didn't listen to him, what other choice did he have? They had to be stopped somehow.