Chapter 40 ~ The Fire

Mikaela's POV

Mikaela's POV

I woke up to bright light, the December sun peeking through the trees above me, the air holding a slight crisp, making my naked body feel-

Wait, bright light?!

It was morning?!

"Oh shit..." I whispered, scanning the empty forest. No trace of any dead bodies. No blood. That had to be a good sign, right?

Clearly I'd managed to break out of the chains last night, or I wouldn't be here. Kai was nowhere to be seen. I hoped with every fibre of my being that he had managed to escape and get as far away from me as possible.

If I had done something to him, if I'd hurt him, or even killed him...

I couldn't let myself think like that. Kai was smart. He was leader of the Gemini Coven now, he could've taken me down in an instant.

But what if he didn't? that sickly voice taunted in my head.

Jumping to my feet, I hurried through the trees, letting instincts take me in the direction that I needed to go. I had no idea where I was, if I was even anywhere near the cabin - or had I ended up miles away?

I didn't know. All I knew was that I had to keep going, keep searching until I found familiar surroundings. If I stumbled upon corpses on my journey then, well... I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

I walked for what felt like hours. By the position of the sun, I could tell it was around 9am, meaning I'd lost about twelve hours of memories. Had I been a wolf the whole time? Or had my body just given up after a while as I lay unconscious on the forest dirt until I woke up again?

Eventually I stepped into the clearing of the makeshift torture scene that I'd played the leading role in last night. Still no sign of Kai - I was going to take that as a good thing.

Just as I'd thought, the chains were still wrapped around the tree, shackles broken. The wolf was apparently a lot stronger and angrier than I gave it credit for. The last thing I remembered was Kai doing everything in his power to piss me off. I guess the wolf wanted to make him pay.

Breathing a sigh of relief to know I wasn't far from the cabin, I continued on my journey as fast as I could, sprinting to where I could see Kai's car through the trees. Grateful that he'd left the door unlocked - at the risk of getting eaten by Big Foot - I scuttled inside, scanning the room.

"Kai?" I called, receiving no answer. Noticing the blanket on the sofa, I grabbed it and wrapped it under my arms like a towel, before entering the bedroom. I held my breath, hoping and praying to find him alive and well, without any scratches marring that beautiful face.

"Kai?" I tried again as I opened the door. And there, stood buttoning up his shirt, was the most perfect man in the world, still in pristine condition. His blue eyes flicked up to meet mine immediately, anxiety vanishing from his features the moment he saw me.