Chapter 46 ~ The Aftermath

TW: This chapter contains very graphic details of death and upsetting scenes that may be distressing to some readers

TW: This chapter contains very graphic details of death and upsetting scenes that may be distressing to some readers. Please skip if this makes you uncomfortable.

"Don't do anything stupid."

Klaus's warning played on repeat in my mind for over an hour.

It had only been a week since the masquerade ball. He'd hinted at the havoc he could wreak if I went against our deal. And me being me, of course, I didn't listen. Mikaela knew best. To hell with the consequences.

Well, look now, Mikaela.

Look at the consequences.

Except, I couldn't look. I remained sat on the hard floor at the end of the hallway, putting as much distance between me and my mother's corpse as I could.

"I just don't want you to feel alone."

I couldn't leave her body, so I stayed within sight but kept my head turned in the opposite direction. The smell of her blood and death was in the air, stifling me to the point of nausea. It didn't make me thirsty - it made me want to vomit.

It was all over my hands and clothes. Her heart stayed near the front door that was still open. I didn't want to close it. I didn't know why, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Almost like I would really be sealing her fate the moment it was shut.

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

Why hadn't I just listened to him? Why did I have to be so stubborn?

Relentless questions of 'what if' replayed in my head, taunting me, torturing me.

What if I had been faster getting her out the door? I would've had less time in saying goodbye before she disappeared for a few weeks, but hey, at least she'd still be alive.

What if I had stayed home and never bumped into Klaus? I should've spent time with my mom instead of going out to do something as trivial as shopping.

What if I had lied better? What if I had fought back? What if I had just been smart and never broke the sire-bond at all? I could've stopped all this torment, had I just listened to Klaus in the first place. Sure, I wouldn't be free, but was freedom really worth it when it resulted in my mother's death?

It was during my endless mental suffering that my phone rang incessantly on the ground a metre away from where I sat with my knees drawn up to my chest, the device screaming to be answered.

I just glared at it, unable to move.

By the tenth missed call, I finally mustered the strength to answer, holding the phone up against my ear as I turned myself away from the dead body at the end of the hall.

"Hello?"

"Oh my God!" my brother cried out. "I've been going out of my mind with worry! Are you insane? What took you so long to answer?"