Chapter 47 ~ The Abandonment

People gradually started leaving my house at around midnight, the last person to leave at 1 am being Caroline

People gradually started leaving my house at around midnight, the last person to leave at 1 am being Caroline. Tyler had gone out with a few of his friends a couple of hours earlier and had told me not to wait up for him, that he would be back late.

So that left just me and Kai alone in the gigantic mansion.

The air was eerily silent, the house feeling much bigger and emptier than it usually did. I pottered around each room and cleaned up, partly because I knew I wouldn't have the motivation to do it the next day, but mostly just to distract myself from the debilitating ache that hadn't left my chest since this afternoon.

Kai helped out, occasionally trying to make conversation with me when he couldn't cope with the silence any longer, but only got one-word replies from me each time. I felt guilty for not being able to give him the attention he craved but right now my mind was all over the place. I just hoped he would understand that it wasn't anything personal. He was still his perfect self.

When it came time for Kai to leave, I began to panic, my breath hitching in my throat as he made his way towards the front door.

"Kai, wait-"

He paused, turning to look at me over his shoulder. "Yeah?"

I gulped, struggling to get my words out. "Could you, um... Could you maybe stay here tonight?" I wondered. "Please?"

He chuckled softly, nodding. "Of course. I just wasn't sure if you wanted your own space, you know? I didn't want to place myself somewhere that I wasn't welcome."

Rolling my eyes, I took his hands in mine. "You're always welcome here," I said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Don't ever think that I want you anywhere but by my side."

Kai pulled me into his embrace, sighing softly as he rested his chin on top of my head. "Good," he whispered, "because that's where I'll always want to be."

Inhaling his familiar scent, I began to relax. Kai was with me. Everything would be okay. "I just really don't want to be alone tonight," I murmured.

Kai stroked my back for a moment before taking my hand in his and leading me upstairs. We didn't say anything as we stripped out of our clothes and climbed into bed, Kai getting in one side, me on the other. Naturally, our bodies fit together like puzzle pieces, Kai's hand pulling my thigh on top of his, my arm around his waist. I kept my eyes closed, scared of what would happen if I opened them.

"You can talk to me, Mickie," Kai's voice said through the dark. "You know that."

I gulped. "I don't even know what to say."

"You're hurting, you've been through an incredibly traumatic experience," he said, stroking my cheek with his thumb. "Surely there must be something on your mind?"