Chapter 61 ~ The Originals

(So I didn't manage to publish another chapter before Christmas as I'd hoped, sorry guys! But I hope you had a great time if you celebrated!)

Kai's POV

"Please do not let your mini-Mikaela pee on my couch," the oldest Salvatore brother groaned the next day at the Boarding House.

Glancing over at Daisy led on one of their sofas in the lounge, knawing contentedly on her favourite chew toy, I failed to hide my smirk. "I can assure you, Demon, Daisy has better manners than Mikaela right now."

He scrunched up his face at the unwanted reminder that our favourite Hybrid was currently God-knows-where doing God-knows-what. "Well, keep your eye on her with Stefan around," he teased. "Did you know he has a secret thing for puppy blood?"

Stefan rolled his eyes as the rest of us held back snickers.

Mickie hadn't hunted me down during the night as we'd feared she may have. She hadn't shown her face to any of the others either. Tyler had gone to check if she was possibly still hiding in the warehouse we'd left her at - deciding a fellow Hybrid was the safer option rather than allowing the vamps to risk getting bitten and dying from a wolf bite - but he'd returned empty-handed.

She'd completely vanished.

I hadn't yet managed to figure out if that was a good thing or a very, very bad thing.

So here I was, stood as part of the group that circled the pool table in the middle of the living room, staring down at the list of places my humanity-less girlfriend may have run off to. These people had always felt more like Mickie's friends than my own - friends who had eventually accepted me and allowed me to hang around for her benefit - and being here with them now, without her by my side as we tried to come up with a plan to save her, was really throwing me off.

But Caroline helped to save you last night, not her best friend, an annoyingly optimistic voice reminded me from somewhere deep within my subconscious. And Enzo assured you that you guys were friends.

The Salvatores had invited me over to their place without a single grumble about my dog having to join me - other than the first and sole remark Damon had made a few moments ago. No one batted an eyelid when they saw me arrive, only greeted me with sad smiles, expressions filled with concern. Everyone knew what Mikaela switching her humanity off would mean. This affected us all as a whole, not just me.

There were only two people that didn't join us at the pool table. Liv - because she wasn't invited, knowing what would go down if Damon saw her again after the last time she stepped foot inside his house - and Bonnie, who sat on one of the couches behind us, typing away at a laptop, her brows pulled together in concentration.

"It's obvious why she-wolf didn't show up at Kai's apartment last night," Damon said to the group. "If she had any sense at all, she'd run as far in the opposite direction as possible."