Chapter 16 ~ The Return

TW: 18+ only! Explicit content and descriptive details of sexual scenes ahead

"Rise and shine!" Kai's voice woke me up the next morning.

I squinted against the sun beaming through my window as Kai pushed open the curtains.

He inhaled deeply. "So long 1994." He turned to me with a grin. "We've got a big day ahead."

"It's fair to say I will not miss being rudely awoken by you every single morning," I grumbled, rolling over on the mattress and burying my head under my pillow.

"Don't lie," he teased, snatching the pillow from me. "You'll miss me no matter what."

I sighed, turning onto my back to gaze up at him. "Let's just get this day over with." It was taking everything in me not to comment on the fact that he was stood there in only his boxers.

"I thought you'd be more excited," Kai chuckled, perching on the bed next to me.

Shrugging, I nibbled on my lower lip anxiously. "I am. I want to see my family and friends."

"Then what's the problem?"

"So much could go wrong, you know? Especially with this spell..." I trailed off, stressing myself out more the longer I thought about it.

"Do you not trust me?" Kai asked, raising a brow sceptically.

I reached out, placing my hand on his arm. "Of course I do. It's just... magic is a little iffy sometimes."

"You know I'd never let anything bad happen to you, Mikaela," Kai replied softly.

I nodded in agreement, forcing a smile. "You're right. It'll be fine, I'm sure."

"That's my girl," he said, returning my smile as he pinched my cheek gently.

I swatted his hand away with a laugh, which slowly transformed into a sigh of longing. "So, this is our last day here together?"

"Aw, Mickie, don't look so sad. It's not like you'll never see me again," he said comfortingly.

I looked at him from under my lashes. "You promise?"

Kai grinned, holding out his little finger meaningfully.

I giggled, linking my pinky with his.

"I'm going to hop in the shower then get everything ready for the spell," he said, standing up with a stretch. Suddenly, he turned to look at me with a mischievous glint in his blue eyes.