Chapter 56 ~ The Apology

Mikaela's POV

Mikaela's POV

February 13th

It was early afternoon. Kai and I had just got back from the dog park, where Daisy had made friends with a pitbull puppy. We had to carry her back to the car after she outright refused to leave, even when offered treats.

Puppies these days, huh?

Just as I was about to head out of the bedroom to ask Kai what we were going to have for lunch, my phone began to ring from where it lay on the bed. Glancing down at the screen, I frowned.

The caller ID took me by surprise, but I answered it nevertheless.

"Hey, Matt," I said cheerily, though a little anxious. Matt didn't call me very often, if at all. "Is everything okay?"

"K, you may wanna come home..." his voice answered, seeming almost in a daze.

I froze in place. "Why? What's wrong?" Please don't tell me there's something wrong with the house.

He paused briefly, before replying, "I think it's better if you see for yourself."

I blinked. "Incredibly vague but fine, I'll be there soon." With a sigh, I ended the call, placing the phone back into my pocket.

Kai appeared in the doorway only a moment later, leaning against the frame. "Who was that?"

Grabbing my jacket, I said, "Matt."

"Oh? What did he want?"

"Something's happening at the mansion," I explained, picking up my bag. "I've got to go check it out."

"Want me to come with you?" Kai asked as I approached him.

I shook my head, snatching my car keys from the nightstand. "No, I'll be fine. You stay here with Daisy, I don't want her to be alone."

His brows pulled together with concern. "You sure you'll be safe?"

I flashed him an easy grin. "Pinky promise."

"Those are sacred around here, Lockwood," he teased, waggling his eyebrows playfully. "Break it and you'll have a blubbering mess of a Kai to come home to."

I scoffed. "If I remember correctly, I'm not the one that breaks them."

Kai mock-gasped. "Ouch."