Chapter 23 ~ The Sire-Bond

"So just walk in there, look her straight in the eye and say, 'Bonnie, I know you and I have different opinions on Kai but can we put this behind us and be friends again?' Maybe add a 'pretty please' to sweeten her a little?"

I shot a look towards my blonde friend as we walked side-by-side in the direction of her dorm room. "She was the one that walked out, Care. Not me."

Caroline threw her hands up in frustration. "Well you guys need to come to some sort of agreement - I'm not having my best friends fighting forever!"

I snorted. "It won't be forever - just until she kills Kai."

"Kayla," she tutted, tilting her head disapprovingly at me.

"What?" I asked, raising a brow. "Am I wrong?"

"Be quiet!" she whispered as we stepped outside her door. Listening carefully with her vamp hearing, she turned to look at me nervously. "She's inside. Stay here. I'll go in and speak to her first, alright?"

I saluted her sarcastically. "Yes Ma'am."

Throwing me one last frown, she entered the room, disappearing out of sight. I leaned against the wall of the corridor, folding my arms across my chest as I listened in to their conversation.

"Hey Caroline, where've you been?" Bonnie's warm voice asked, though there was a hint of suspicion to her tone.

"Hey!" Caroline replied in her typical cheery way. "I was helping Mikaela with some, uh, things."

"Oh," Bonnie said quietly, pausing briefly. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's okay now. She's actually outside waiting to speak to you."

"Caroline!" Bonnie hissed.

"What?" Care replied easily, as if she had no idea why Bonnie could be reacting in such a way.

"You know I don't want to see her right now, why would you bring her here?" the witch snapped.

Caroline groaned. "Because you guys are best friends and this is stupid!"

There was a moment of silence before Bonnie spoke again. "It's not stupid to me."

"Ugh, that's not what I meant-"

"But that's exactly what you meant, wasn't it?" Bonnie yelled, cutting our blonde best friend off. "You're not seeing it from my point of view. You were there, Caroline! He strangled you too! How can you be so accepting of him already?"

Caroline sighed in frustration. "I haven't accepted him fully just yet, he has to prove himself. But he's good for Kayla, Bon. He makes her happy and he always puts her first. I can't ignore that."

Her words warmed my aching heart.

"How can a sociopath who murdered kids - his own siblings to be precise - put anyone before himself? You're being blinded by his charm just like she is."