Chapter 17 ~ The Loss

Kai's POV

Kai's POV

"That'll be $20.91 please, Sir."

I stared at the girl at the checkout, before putting on my best heartbroken face. "I'm really low on cash right now. I've had to run away from home because my parents neglected and abused me. Could you help a guy out please?"

"I really wish I could, but it's store policy - and well, the law - that you have to pay for what you want," she replied, giving me an apologetic smile. She looked around the same age as Mikaela, with similar dark hair and pretty eyes.

The corner of my lips picked up in a crooked smile, tilting my head as I tried my best to be flirty and charming. "Come on, you'd be doing me the biggest favour. I'll never forget the way you'd be helping me."

She sighed before grinning. "Alright, you can have these but the rest will need to be paid for," she said, pushing the packet of pork rinds towards me.

"I'll just take these then as I really don't have any money on me," I replied, frowning.

The girl rolled her eyes before glancing around at her colleagues to make sure no one was watching. "Fine," she eventually said. "You owe me."

I winked, grabbing the carrier bag full of items. "You're an angel," I said before turning on my heel and leaving the store.

What did Mikaela say about my charm and sob-story not working on pure-hearted, impressionable store assistants? If only she could see me now.

The image of her body lying pale, cold and unconscious in the snow flashed in my mind and, swallowing down my nausea, I tried to shake it out of my head.

It had been two days since I'd seen her. With the remnants of her magic in my veins, I'd managed to get enough money to pay for a few nights at a local hotel and a mobile phone to use for emergencies, but my cash pile was quickly getting smaller and smaller.

I was getting hungrier by the minute and the excitement of being back home had started to wear off. Exactly what I'd been afraid of happening was actually happening.

As much as it hurt to admit, I was struggling. The world I knew was different, nothing made sense. I was confused, alone, with barely any money and no plan on what to do next.

Mikaela had been right. I hadn't prepared myself enough.

All I wanted was to be with her. I felt safe with her - in control. She would inspire me, comfort me. It didn't matter if the world around us wasn't the one I knew - as long as she was by my side, I had no fear.

Back at the hotel, I packed away the free food from the store and scarfed down the bag of pork rinds to quieten down my empty, growling stomach. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I flinched as the image of Mikaela materialised in my head again.