Chapter 78 ~ The Awakening

TW: 18+ only! This chapter contains explicit content, scenes of death, violence, gore and graphic details that may be upsetting to some readers

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

TW: 18+ only! This chapter contains explicit content, scenes of death, violence, gore and graphic details that may be upsetting to some readers.

Kai's POV

As promised, the witches and I worked around the clock all through the night to restore Enzo to full health. It was a painstaking, nerve-wracking ten hours that seemed to drag on forever. Many times we held our breath, praying for revival, but it never came.

"Something doesn't feel right," Bonnie murmured at one point, having not moved from her spot next to her boyfriend all night. When I glanced at her expectantly, she continued, "It didn't take Kayla this long to come back. We've been working on him for hours and there's still nothing." She gulped thickly, swallowing down her oncoming sobs. "Not even a stir."

"I almost didn't come back at all," Mickie spoke up from behind us. She gave a meek smile. "I know this sounds crazy, but I think I went into the afterlife..."

I blinked. "What?"

Mickie shrugged, moving to kneel beside me. "It's true. I saw my parents, my Uncle Mason," she explained. "I missed them so much I almost gave up fighting." She reached across my lap, taking my hand in hers. "But then I heard Kai's voice telling me that he needed me and my family reminded me what I would be leaving behind."

My heart swelled at her words and I grinned, feeling much more complete now that I was out of my Hell-loop and back home with the woman I loved - and as her empathetic, moral self again.

The corners of Mikaela's lips picked up in reply before she turned to roam her gaze over Enzo's calm features. "Enzo's a fighter; he knows what he would be giving up if he let go." Then she held her best friend's tear-filled stare. "And I promise," she assured her, "if he can hear your voice, Bon, he will make it through this."

Bonnie nodded in gratitude before breaking down, holding onto Enzo's hand tighter and pressing a kiss to the back of his palm. "I love him so much," she whispered. "I don't know what I would do without him."

I rubbed the witch's back comfortingly, offering my best attempt at an encouraging smile. I completely understood the fear she was struggling with right now, having been in her place only hours ago. That sickening dread and agonising terror that fills your chest instantly when you see the one you love almost die right before your eyes. Not knowing if you're going to be able to save them, not knowing whether you'll hear their voice again, kiss them, or even tell them just how much they mean to you... It's too much to bear.

And then watching the same thing happen again to another person that had become like a rock in your life, keeping you on the right track? Double ouch.

"I've told each of you how much I appreciate you guys coming to save me," I said to the girls on either side of me after a moment. "But if I didn't get the chance to tell Enzo that I'm thankful for what he did for me... what he's done for me since the moment we met?.." I took a deep breath. "I'd take that guilt with me to my grave."

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐄𝐏 ~ Kai Parkerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें